‘Nooners’ give local bands chance to be heard

By Chloe Nakagawa

The University Student Union brings free concerts to Fresno State so students can enjoy live entertainment without having to leave campus.

Every Wednesday from noon to 1 p.m., there are Nooners, hour long concerts located outside the USU in The Pit.­ The Music Scene, a student-led USU committee at Fresno State, organizes and runs the concerts.

Karmen Geffken, a Fresno State student who is a coordinator on the committee, encourages students to spend their break between classes enjoying the Nooners.

“It’s something fun to do during your lunch hour,” Geffken said.­ “You can watch a concert and maybe see a new band that you really like.”

Sonia Soghomonian, another student coordinator, said the concerts usually attract big crowds.

“That’s usually when everyone’s getting their lunch,” Soghomonian said.­ “Especially when the weather is great.”

She said that during Nooners there are even people standing on the USU balcony, taking in the music from a bird’s-eye view.

Geffken said the committee is trying to get larger night concerts on campus for next semester, but is not quite sure how it is going to approach the change.

“A lot of students aren’t 21, so they can’t go to a lot of venues around town,” Geffken said.­ “We want to try to bring something to them.”

Geffken said if The Music Scene is allowed to put on night shows, it expects big crowds.

“I think people will definitely come out to it,” Geffken said.

She said if night concerts are possible, they will bring popular entertainment to the students and heavily promote the shows.

Geffken tracks down bands to play at Nooners by contacting the Fresno alternative radio station, New Rock 104.1.­ The radio station has a segment every Sunday night called New Rock Homegrown which promotes local bands.

She also checks out local venues, such as Babylon Club and Audie’s Olympic, to scout out popular bands to play at Nooners.

“We’re trying to shake it up,” Geffken said.

The committee, Geffken said, is trying to book more than alternative bands and will try to get country acts to perform.­ Bands that have performed in the past include acoustic artist JJ Brown, pop band Amoret and folk pop band Underwater Track Team.

Geffken said The Music Scene is open to all genres.

Shawn Baugh II, founder of the band Future Class, played at a Nooner for the first time in October and said the experience was beneficial for the band, and they would appreciate a chance to perform again.

“We actually gave out a bunch of free CDs, about close to 100,” Baugh said.

He said after the performance at Fresno State, the band got a lot of new Facebook followers.

“It is a great experience for any artist to play at Fresno State,” Baugh said.­ “Students are your fan base. They are what you need to attract.”

Soghomonian said The Music Scene also asks students for requests on what bands they would like to see perform again or if they have any new band suggestions.­ Students can request bands at the University Student Union Productions Facebook page.­ Students can also reach The Music Scene via Twitter @Usuproductions.