Women’s Basketball: Second-half woes cost ‘Dogs at Washington State

With 10:08 remaining in the game, Washington State Cougars sophomore guard Lia Galdeira banked in a 3-point jumper to tie the contest at 60. And for the rest of the game, the Fresno State women’s basketball team saw its command of the game turn into subordination.

The Bulldogs scored a season-high 79 points in the contest, but it was not enough for a resurgent Washington State team that was led by Tia Pressley’s career-high 37 points.

Now, the 92-79 defeat puts the Bulldogs at 2-2 as they head into the Seton Hall Tournament.

The Bulldogs had a 47-35 lead at the end of the first half. In the second frame, the lead was as high as 51-39 before the Cougars began to come back. After trimming Fresno State’s lead to 10 points (59-49), Washington State went on an 11-1 run led by Pressley’s six points over the stretch.

After tying the game, Washington State went on a 15-4 run to gain its own double-digit lead of the contest.

Fresno State guard Taylor Thompson played the entire game and had 25 points. Alex Sheedy had a team-high seven rebounds while scoring her season-high 17 points.

“Taylor just tried to play really hard and tried to create some momentum for us,” said Fresmp State coach Raegan Pebley. “I think her teammates will be better at responding to that for her in the future.”