Volleyball: Fresno State signs three new players for 2014

With five seniors playing their final games this weekend, Fresno State women’s volleyball coach Lauren Netherby-Sewell signed three high-school seniors to National Letters of Intent on Tuesday.

Taylor Brubaker from San Clemente, Calif., Carly Scarborough from Sarasota, Fla., and Visalia’s Lauren Torres committed to playing for Fresno State in 2014.

“We’re adding some really physical players to our squad in 2014,” Netherby-Sewell said. “We had to work hard and be very selective in this class because of the program’s fantastic progress in the last year. We’ve become a big, imposing offensive team, so we didn’t want to lose that going into next season.”

Brubaker led San Clemente High School to a league title in 2011 and a runner-up finish in 2013. The 6-foot outside hitter was a three-time letterwinner and the captain of her squad in her senior year.

“Taylor’s a polished player and has had terrific training over the years,” Netherby-Sewell said. “She’s young and has a world of growth ahead of her, but her potential as a six-rotation player is exciting.”

Scarborough comes from Riverside High School in Sarasota, Fla., where she was a member of a squad that has appeared in two Patriot League championship matches (one of which it won). In 2012, she was the team captain, MVP and all-area team choice. In her senior year, she averaged 14 kills, 10 digs and a .278 hitting percentage.

“She looks developed and super physical,” Netherby-Sewell said. “She’s a program changer, and it’ll be nice to have some East Coast representation on our team.”

El Diamante High School’s Torres led her team to three West Yosemite League titles, two Division-II championship appearances (one win and one runner-up finish) and a 102-22 record. In her career, the 6-foot middle blocker has won Best Defensive Player, Most Improved and Coaches’ Award honors.

“She has been the best of the best in her area for a long time,” Netherby-Sewell said. “I cannot wait to get her in the gym.”