Volleyball: ‘Dogs drop Senior Day match to Colorado State

Korrin Wild (1) and Holly Framks (21) defend an attack from Wyoming during Fresno State’s four-set loss against Wyoming. Photo by Khlarissa Agee/The Collegian

In front of Save Mart Center’s largest volleyball crowd of the season, the Fresno State Bulldogs were swept by the undefeated Colorado State Rams 25-13, 25-16, 25-21 on Saturday.

Before the game, Korrin Wild, Lauren Albertson, Marissa Brand, Holly Franks and Megan Callahan were honored during the Senior Day ceremony. The five players and their families took the court for the tribute.

“This was a special day,” Brand said. “Being in this program for five years has completely changed my life. To finish with this group of girls is absolutely amazing. It’s sad that this is our last game, but we had a ton of fun this season.”

Brand finished her final regular-season home game leading the Bulldogs offensively. She had 13 kills while hitting .400 in the contest.

For Colorado State, junior Marlee Reynolds led her team with 13 kills, while Kelsey Snider had 12 kills but hit a team-high .611.
As a team, the Rams outscored the Bulldogs in hitting (.384-.160) and blocks (9-6), while hitting .300 or better each of the three sets.

“I thought we prepared well this time,” said Fresno State coach Lauren Netherby-Sewell, “but they’re good. They’re No. 10 for a reason. We’re just on a rough streak right now, and the timing wasn’t great. I give [the Rams] credit. They played solid and smart, and they have all kinds of weapons.”

The game didn’t end silently. Down 23-15 in Set 3, the Bulldogs began a rally. Brand spiked two kills and blocked an attack by Colorado State’s Kelsey Snider. The Rams called a timeout, then Fresno State committed a service error to stop its rally.

Maci Murdock’s sixth kill brought the Bulldogs within four points, ¬then Murdock and Brand blocked an attack by Colorado State’s Samantha Peters to make it a 24-21 contest.

But Reynolds’ kill sealed the victory for Colorado State.
“It’s disappointing we didn’t start the way we finished,” Netherby-Sewell said.

Two games remain for Fresno State, both on the road. On Tuesday, the Bulldogs will visit New Mexico, then it’s off to Colorado Springs for the season-finale against Air Force on Wednesday.