‘Dogs battle Broncos to four-set victory

The Fresno State women’s volleyball team had its best hitting performance of the season Thursday in its 3-1 victory over the Boise State Broncos.­

The Bulldogs hit a total of .381 in the game, and junior middle blocker Maci Murdock led the team with a .571 hitting percentage.

In Set 1, Boise State jumped to a 5-1 lead. Halfway through the frame, Fresno State rallied and setter Christina Lee knocked in a service ace to tie the set at 16. After the Broncos called timeout and pulled themselves away, Murdock and senior outside hitter Korrin Wild hit back-to-back kills to bring the Bulldogs within two points.

But with one point needed to win, a Fresno State service error gave the Broncos the 25-23 set victory.

The Bulldogs found themselves down 3-0 to begin Set 2, but they quickly recovered behind the hitting trio of Brand, Wild and Holly Franks.­ The three hitters combined for 13 kills in the frame, and the Bulldogs had three blocks to give them the easy 25-17 victory.

After the half, the Bulldogs and Broncos battled back and forth, but Fresno Statewon Set 3 25-20 and Set 4 26-24.

Up next for the Bulldogs is a trip to Logan, Utah, where they will face the Utah State Aggies on Saturday.