Bulldogs boast national attention on offense

It’s no secret.

Fresno State’s top performers are attracting many national accolades as a result of a surge in offensive production and returning veterans on a defense that forced 35 turnovers last season.

Quarterback Derek Carr and wide receiver Davante Adams headline the Bulldogs — who, at No. 15 in the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) standings, remain the nation’s top-ranked non-automatic qualifying team — in the potential national accolades that they might rake in at the end of the regular season.

Carr, who has thrown for 3,421 yards and 32 touchdowns, was named one of five finalists for the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award, which is awarded annually to the nation’s top quarterback, on Tuesday.

On Monday, Adams was named one of 10 national semifinalists for the Biletnikoff Award , which recognizes the country’s top wide receiver. This season, he has 91 carries for 967 yards and 15 touchdowns.

“It’s humbling,” Adams said.

“It’s a great honor to be mentioned as one of the top guys in the nation, but you can never look at those things as individual awards. It’s obviously a team award because I couldn’t make any of the plays that I’m making out there without the guys in the trenches, without my quarterback, the coaches who have the belief in me to go out there and make plays. It’s way bigger than me.”

In total, eight Bulldogs are on watch lists for a combined 23 awards.

A Heisman Trophy campaign was launched for Carr after Fresno State’s 41-40 win against Boise State on Sept. 20.

The last Bulldog quarterback to earn a national award was Carr’s older brother David, who won the Golden Arm Award in 2001.

Fresno State has had success earning the country’s attention under head coach Tim DeRuyter.

Last season, former strong safety Phillip Thomas (now playing professionally for the Washington Redskins) was named one of three finalists for the Jim Thorpe Award, which recognizes the country’s top defensive back. Thomas was the school’s first unanimous All-American.

Fresno State hosts New Mexico (3-6, 1-5 Mountain West) Saturday at Bulldog Stadium on Senior Day at 1 p.m.

A win for the Bulldogs would clinch them a spot in the Mountain West’s inaugural conference championship on Dec. 7, which will be hosted at the home site of the divisional champion with the highest BCS ranking.