“Thirsty Thursday” come to The Bucket

Nearly 40 students lined up outside of The Bucket Thursday night for the first of three “Thirsty Thursday” events hosted by Associated Students, Inc.

Rebecca Rosengarten, ASI vice president of finance, said the event was created in response to student complaints about The Bucket’s hours of operation.

“It’s a way to open up The Bucket for students,” Rosengarten said.

The Bucket is currently open weekdays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Rosengarten said The Bucket used to be open in the evenings, but business during those hours wasn’t meeting demand.

After students complained, The Bucket opened again Monday nights this semester, but business in the evening still hasn’t been strong, she said.

Philip Greenberg, a senior majoring in recreation administration, lined up at the door to The Bucket at 4:45 p.m. for the event. He and his friends spent the evening watching football over pitchers of Coors and Shocktop.

“It was totally worth the wait,” he said.

Greenberg said The Bucket is “packed” during lunch, but feels it is underused.

“I’ve been kicked out of here many a time right before it closes,” he said. “It was ‘bottoms up and finish the pitcher.’”

Samantha Tovar, a kinesiology major, and Veronica Tovar, an anthropology major, said they attended the event as an opportunity to get involved.

Veronica Tovar said that though she eats at The Bucket for lunch, she likes it better at night. She said she liked the college student environment and that The Bucket closes off what’s outside.

“We came to be a part of the spirit here,” Samantha Tovar said.

ASI gave out 50 free meal tickets in drawings and to the first 20 students in line. Greenberg said he planned to use his free meal ticket to get the tri-tip.

Rosengarten said the name “Thirsty Thursday” was initially a joke, but it was an attention grabber that drew students to the event.

Mike Stephens, the station manager for 90.7 KFSR, was at the event managing the music for ASI.

“If ASI has something, we’re going to be there,” Stephens said.

Stephens said KFSR also hosts ASI’s talk show “Dog Dish” as well as provides music at ASI tailgates.

“People love music. We’re the fun cool part,” he said.

ASI raffled off additional free meal tickets for the next “Thirsty Thursday,” which will be on Nov. 7 at 5 p.m.