The Fresno State soccer team takes a bow in front of the Bulldog Stadium crowd after its 2-1 victory over the Boise State Broncos on Sunday. Photo by Roe Borunda/The Collegian

Soccer: ‘Dogs continue winning streak with two home wins

The Bulldogs women’s soccer team battled their way to a .500 record last weekend, with two big victories over the Utah State Aggies and Boise State Broncos.

“We have been playing with more and more discipline in every match,” said Fresno State coach Brian Zwaschka.

Last Friday night’s match against the Aggies went the distance — regulation ended in a 0-0 tie.

In the 94th minute, Fresno State senior Shonice Myers scored off a header from a ball thrown in by Ariana Holmes.

It was the Bulldogs’ second straight overtime victory at Bulldog Stadium.

“We knew it was going to be a challenging game,” Zwaschka said. “We were looking for a killer finish at some point.”

Goalkeeper Katie DeVault had four saves during the game and is now second all-time in saves for the Bulldogs.

“[DeVault] was razor sharp tonight and we needed that,” Zwaschka said.

On Sunday, the Bulldogs beat the Broncos 2-1 after trailing 1-0.

Boise State sophomore forward KT Clayton socred the first goal of the game in the 10th minute.

In the 43rd minute, senior Morgan Castain scored her ninth goal of the season, leading the Mountain West Conference.

In the 46th minute, senior Megan Mossman came off the bench and scored the game-leading goal off a Castain assist.

“Our bench might as well be starters because they have been getting significant minutes,” Zwaschka said “We aren’t surprised that [Mossman] came off and got a goal.”

The Bulldogs will hit the road this weekend to face Wyoming and Air Force.