Plant Science Club helps create Chaffee Zoo exhibit

IMG_6803_ValleyFarm(Courtesy)
Plant Science Club members (left to right) Zach Borges, Nadia Juarez, and Elizabeth Mosqueda with Dr. Sharon E. Benes in the Chaffee Zoo. The club helped create the new Valley Farm exhibit. Photo courtesy of plant science department.

By Monique­Bienvenue

Visitors to the Fresno Chaffee Zoo can now look at crops grown in the Valley or pet farm animals thanks to a new exhibit opened with the help of Fresno State’s Plant Science Club.

On Sept. 27, the new Valley Farm exhibit opened in the former Small Wonders petting zoo. ­Visitors can walk in a chicken coop, chase a baby goat or even learn where Fresno’s crops are sent after they’re grown.

The crops include fruit trees. Visitors will also learn how Valley farmers grow and irrigate local produce and its contributions to people around the world.

The Plant Science Club, made up of students majoring in plant health and crop production, helped develop the exhibit.

“Graduates of both majors are in high demand­statewide,” said Dr. Bruce Roberts, the J.G. Boswell chair of Agronomy. “The Plant Science Club’s involvement with this project allows our students to showcase the diversity of our region’s agriculture, apply their academic skills and be a part of this public service opportunity.”

Club members ­advised the zoo on what agricultural commodities to show, but the students also contributed to the construction of the exhibit itself.

“Agriculture is such a huge part of this community,” said club president Elizabeth Mosqueda. “The more young people are exposed to it, the more they are willing to understand what agriculture is all about.”

The idea of the exhibit was first formulated by Karen Musson, managing partner of Gar Tootelian Inc., one of the oldest protection/fertilizer retailers in the nation.

Inspired by a conversation she had with a friend regarding California’s produce supply, she contacted the zoo and Roberts, the club’s adviser.

“The idea to bring Fresno State into the component was really important,” Musson said. “We needed somebody that could oversee the project from beginning to end and could also be a long-term partner in the history of the zoo.”

Although the exhibit is now open to the public, the club’s involvement with the zoo isn’t over.

In order to capture the true essence of California’s diverse agriculture, the club members will plant seasonal crops so that the public has an idea of what can be grown in a Mediterranean climate.

Roberts said the club will be in charge of maintaining the exhibit’s plots, assisting with irrigation systems and educating zoo employees on crop knowledge.

The public may have different questions about the crops, Roberts said, and the club wants to make sure the employees are well versed on how each commodity plays a role in the agricultural industry.

In addition to working on the exhibit, Roberts said the Plant Science Club has a lot on its hands.

Ten members are preparing to represent Fresno State at the National Agronomy Society Conference in Tampa, Fla. and are also preparing to assist with various annual Future Farmers of America events held on campus.

Regardless of this semester’s schedule, however, Musson said the members are excited to help promote agricultural education to Valley youth.

“Kids are naturally fascinated,” Musson said. “If you can turn that fascination into something educational, it really is a great benefit to the community.”