NBA All-Star Paul George buys out home opener tickets

Fresno State men’s basketball Nov. 16 Save Mart Center opener against Cal State Northridge is technically sold out — the team’s Fan Appreciation Game.

NBA All-Star and former Bulldogs stadnout Paul George bought out all unsold tickets to Fresno State’s home opener in the hopes current Bulldogs and fans can experience a sellout to kick off the season.

Fresno State men’s basketball fans can redeem tickets by printing vouchers online at gobulldogs.com and redeeming them at the Save Mart Center box office.

“Fresno State at the Save Mart Center is one of the best facilities in college basketball,” George said. “In my time, we never sold it out, so I want those kids to have that experience to get a sold-out crowd and play in front of a full arena. I thought that was the best way to do it.”

The game, also sponsored by 940 ESPN Radio, tips off at 7 p.m. and kicks off the start of the Bulldogs’ quest for a Mountain West Conference Championship.

George, 23 and entering his fourth year with the Indiana Pacers, was selected 10th overall in the 2010 NBA Draft. George has established himself as one of the league’s premier swingman en route to leading the Pacers to last season’s Eastern Conference Finals.

George starred at Fresno State from 2008-10 before forgoing his junior year of eligibility to enter in the Draft.

“Paul’s a great ambassador for Fresno State Athletics,” said Fresno State coach Rodney Terry, in his third year with the program.

“He had a great two years here. He really enjoyed his experience here. Again, when I talk to our guys about giving back, it’s an unbelievable way of giving back on his part. Paul’s really proud of being a Bulldog. He comes back and works out with these guys. He has a vested interest in this program and its success.”

Fresno State will host Cal State Stanislaus (today at 7 p.m.) and Dominican (Monday) in exhibition matches before starting the season on the road at UC Irvine on Nov. 8.

The Bulldogs also travel to the East Coast to face Pittsburgh in nonconference play Nov. 12 before their home opener.