Mountain West Wednesday: Week 6 in the conference

Last weekend, there were only six football games in the Mountain West Conference, as Wyoming, Colorado State, Boise State and UNLV had bye weeks.

BYU Cougars 31, Utah State Aggies 14

After an ESPN-televised 40-12 win over San Jose State, the Aggies returned home to host their in-state rivals last Friday.

Things went sour for Utah State in the first quarter, when BYU’s Kyle Van Noy intercepted a pass from Aggie quarterback Chuckie Keeton for a 17-yard score. Afterward, Keeton left the game with a knee injury.

Keeton remained on the sideline on crutches to cheer his backup, Craig Harrison. The 6-foot-2-inch junior completed 18 of 41 passes for 185 yards and a touchdown.

BYU quarterback Taysom Hill had a more-productive game. He threw for 278 yards and three scores — all to wide receiver Mitch Matthews.

The Aggies scored their second touchdown of the game in the fourth, but the Cougars had done enough damage.

Utah State (3,-3, 2-0 MWC) will remain at home to host the Boise State Broncos (3-2, 1-1 MWC) on Saturday.

San Diego State Aztecs 51, Nevada Wolf Pack 44

In what was almost a San Diego State collapse, Quinn Kaehler completed a 13-yard touchdown for the overtime win.

The Aztec quarterback ended the game completing 23 of 32 passes. Adam Muema, the 5-foot-10 junior from Covina, rushed the ball 24 times for 134 yards and two scores.

At the end of the third quarter, San Diego State shouldered an 11-point lead. Nevada rallied in the fourth by keeping the ball on the ground, and running backs Kendall Brock and Don Jackson scored.

With 1:38 left in the game, Wolf Pack quarterback Cody Fajardo drove his team downfield and completed a 5-yard, game-tying pass.

In overtime, the Aztecs only needed five plays to regain the lead. In the ensuing drive, Fajardo threw three consecutive incomplete passes to seal the victory for the Aztecs.

Nevada (3-3, 2-1 MWC) will have a bye week then visit Boise State on Oct. 19. San Diego State (2-3, 1-0 MWC) will visit the Air Force Falcons on Thursday.

Navy Midshipmen 28, Air Force Falcons 10

Despite the government shutdown, the Navy-Air Force game carried on.

The Department of Defense suspended athletic activities at U.S. service academies. This game was an exception because it was privately funded.

Navy quarterback Keenan Reynolds used his legs more than his arm in the contest. He only threw for 54 yards — completing six of 10 — but ran for 126 yards and three scores.

The Falcons only scored twice in the contest and had a 10-7 halftime lead.

The Midshipmen dominated the fourth quarter. They outscored the Falcons 21-0 and forced three turnovers. Navy linebacker Chris Johnson had two fourth-quarter interceptions that sealed the victory for his team.

Air Force (1-5, 0-4 MWC) will try to end its five-game losing streak at home against San Diego State on Thursday.

New Mexico Lobos 66, New Mexico State Aggies 17

Three first-quarter touchdowns by Lobo running back Kasey Carrier summed up New Mexico’s dominance last Saturday.

Carrier ended the game one yard short of his quarterback, Cole Gautsche, in rushing. Gautsche had one rushing and one passing touchdown in the contest.

Lobo defense improved in the victory. In the Sept. 28 matchup against UNLV, the team allowed 56 points and 568 yards. In its win last week, New Mexico forced three turnovers, and defensive end Brett Bowers had three sacks.

In the loss, Aggie quarterback Andrew McDonald completed 20 of 34 passes for 269 yards. He didn’t throw any touchdowns and had two interceptions.

New Mexico State’s Brandon Betancourt carried the ball 23 times for 139 yards. He lost a fumble in the third quarter that led to a Lobos field goal.

New Mexico (2-3, 0-1 MWC) will visit Wyoming (3-2, 1-0 MWC) on Saturday.

San Jose State Spartans 37, Hawaii Rainbow Warriors 27

Sept. 28, Hawaii head coach Norm Chow picked Ikaika Woolsey over Sean Schroeder as his starting quarterback against Fresno State.

By the third quarter of the game, he regretted that decision.

In the Week 5 matchup, Schroeder got the nod as the starter and led the Rainbow Warriors to a 14-10 lead in the first quarter.

Hawaii’s offense took a nosedive in the second quarter. Schroeder had two interceptions and Chow tried to use his running game, but that attempt was futile. The Warriors totaled 87 rushing yards in the game.

Schroeder ended the game completing 28 of 50 passes for 342 yards, three scores and had three interceptions.

The Spartans used a mix of pass and rush offense to build a 13-point lead at halftime.

The second-quarter production was all San Jose State needed. The Spartans and Warriors traded touchdowns in the third quarter, and Hawaii outscored the Spartans 7-3 in the fourth, but San Jose State held on for the 37-27 victory.

This Saturday, the Warriors (0-5, 0-3 MWC) will seek their first win of the season against the UNLV Rebels (3-2, 1-0 MWC), while San Jose State (2-3, 1-1 MWC) will visit Colorado State (2-3, 0-1 MWC).