Fresno State junior middle blocker Maci Murdock jumps for the ball when the Bulldogs hosted New Mexico on Oct. 17. Murdock led the team with 10 kills during Fresno State’s sweep of the Nevada Wolf Pack. Photo by Khlarissa Agee/The Collegian

‘Dogs sweep Nevada on the road

The winning streak continues for the Fresno State women’s volleyball team (14-9, 8-3 Mountain West Conference), as they swept the Nevada Wolf Pack (2-21, 0-11 MWC) last night in Reno, Nev., 25-17, 25-19, 25-16.

“We finished the match really well,” said Fresno State coach Lauren Netherby-Sewell. “Once we adjusted our blocking to be more over the net and not as high, we started playing our game and sided out well.”

Fresno State junior middle blocker Maci Murdock and senior outside hitter Marissa Brand led the team in kills with 10 apiece. Murdock’s .692 hitting percentage led the team, which hit .302 overall.

“Maci was unstoppable especially when they only put one blocker on her,” Netherby-Sewell said. “Marissa is starting to serve really well, hit her target, and put a lot of float speed on the ball.”

The game began in back-and-forth fashion, with Set 1 tied at 14-14. The Bulldogs began to pick up the speed and took advantage of costly Wolf Pack errors to gain a 17-14 lead. Nevada took a timeout and scored immediately after, but Fresno State continued to keep its pace. A service ace by freshman libero Maggie Eppright won the frame.

Senior middle blocker Lauren Albertson began Set 2 with her first kill of the game. Nevada began a four-point streak, led by Grace Anxo’s three kills, and led 4-1. Fresno State battled back to tie the game at 13-13, then the game shifted in its favor. Sophomore outside hitter Zana Bowens served an ace to give the Bulldogs the 14-13 lead and they ended the frame on an 11-6 run.

After the half, Nevada began Set 3 with a 4-1 lead before a Fresno State rally, led by three Murdock kills, tied the frame at 5. The Bulldogs took the lead after and did not look back. Two service aces by Maggie Eppright and an Albertson kill sealed the win for Fresno State.

Up next for the Bulldogs is a Friday night showdown at San Jose State (5-16, 2-8 MWC).