Campus to celebrate Homecoming Week

By Matthew Jimenez

A series of events to celebrate Homecoming Week are set to start today and culminate with the Saturday night Fresno State football game against UNLV.

Flyers have been handed out and banners have been placed around campus to promote Homecoming Week, said executive vice president Candice Amico.

Ashleigh Rocker, programs and volunteer coordinator for ASI, said rapper Anthony “Tone Loc” Smith””best known for his single “Wild Thing”””will be the main performer for the pep rally.

Amico said Associated Students, Inc. brought back the T-shirt exchange program, where people donate old or new Fresno State T-shirts to promote school spirit and ensure that everyone has a shirt for the game.

It took a month of weekly meetings and collaboration from different organizations to put this all together, Amico said.

The group 40 Watt Hype will perform at noon Wednesday at The Pit, she said. A free lunch will be provided and the concert is free. The Smittcamp Alumni House will host Hump Day Hangout at 4 p.m. with free food and Buffalo Wild Wings will provide volleyball tickets for Thursday night’s game

against New Mexico at the Save Mart Center.

She said the Bulldog Pride Zone will begin at 6 p.m. and the game will start at 7 p.m.

On Friday, the Top Dog Alumni Award Gala will take place at the Save Mart Center, starting at 5 p.m. The pep rally will begin at 7 p.m. in the red lot, Amico said.

She said on Saturday Bulldog Pride Zone will be held at the dorms by the volleyball courts at 5 p.m. It is only open to Fresno State students.

The football game against UNLV will start at 7 p.m.

Rocker said the week’s theme is “throwback” and the football team will be wearing a uniform style it used in the 90s.

“We are looking at the history of Fresno State and that is why the football team is going to wear the old uniforms,” Rocker said. “We are looking at where Fresno State is and where Fresno State was then. We are celebrating football and our university.

Amico said she is excited for the week’s festivities and the football game.

“I’m an ex-cheerleader and [President] Moses [Menchaca] is an ex-football player,” she said. “I’ve seen a lot of changes recently. Things are happening and people are getting excited. This excitement is making us push even more.”