Public transportation: cheaper, easier for some students

IMG_0910_Shuttle(Borunda)
Public transportation, like this shuttle, helps students get to campus without dealing with the hassle of traffic and parking. Photo Roe Borunda / The Collegian

Many Fresno State students choose to purchase semester or year permits to park on campus, but some students choose to use public transportation or to carpool.

Students living in some apartment complexes near Fresno State can take advantage of shuttles instead of finding parking on campus.

Leasing manager Leslie Garretson at Campus Park Apartments on Barstow Avenue and First Street said the shuttle is a new amenity for people living in the apartments. She said many students are taking advantage of the transportation option.

“This is the first school year that Campus Park has been operating the shuttle,” Garretson said. “Many students use the shuttle and you’ll always see them waiting for it outside of the building.”

Garretson said the shuttle is free for all residents at Campus Park and was funded by management.

“It runs every 30 minutes starting at 6:30 a.m. until 10:30 p.m. from Campus Park to Fresno State and has three stops throughout campus,” she said.

The stops include the roundabout by the South Gym, a spot near the Science II Building and the roundabout near University High School.

Fresno State student and Campus Park resident Jackie Aguilar said she has a car but chooses to take the shuttle.

“I choose to take the shuttle because of how bad parking is at school,” Aguilar said. “It’s really convenient because it stops on opposite sides of campus so no matter what side you’re on, there will be a stop nearby.”

Diana Manzo, another Campus Park resident, said she had issues with parking in the past and the shuttle is a better option.

“I’ve had a lot of issues with parking on campus; being late to class or even missing class,” Manzo said. “I save money using the shuttle because it’s free and I don’t have to buy a parking pass. It also works really well with my work schedule.”

The shuttle at Campus Park also offers rides to home football games says Garretson.

“It starts at 2 p.m. and drops you off at the White Lot and runs every hour until 10 p.m.,” she said. “Residents have time to tailgate before the game and get a ride home. It’s a good way for residents to prevent drinking and driving.”

Campus Park isn’t the only off-campus housing that shuttles students to school.

Copper Beech Townhomes in Clovis on Gettysburg Avenue also offers the rides for students every hour from 7:35 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.

“It’s free for all residents including their guests,” leasing manager Ernest McCoy said. “We get on average about 60 residents and guests a day who take the shuttle.”

Fresno State students can also buy carpool permits that require each carpool group to register all the vehicles that will be sharing the permit.

The carpool parking lot next to the Henry Madden Library is only a carpool lot from 6:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and then it is available to any student with a green parking permit.

The Fresno Area Express, or FAX, buses are always an option for students.­ The $1.25 bus rides are a better financial choice for some students who don’t live in apartment complexes with shuttles.

“I can’t afford a car so that’s why I take the bus,” senior Felicia Yturaldi said. “It’s not that convenient but it’s better than nothing. Plus I like to think I’m helping the environment.”