Blood drive brings high turnout

Blood drive brings ‘high’ turnout

IMG_0682_Blood_WEB(Borunda)
The University Courtyard Residence Dining Hall hosts a yearly blood drive. This year’s donations amounted to 55 pints of blood from 74 people, exceeding the target goal. Collegian file photo

Students went to the Residence Dining Hall Tuesday night to give away a resource vital to life — their blood.

The Central California Blood Center collected 55 pints of blood and registered 74 donors””surpassing their goal of 42 pints””at their kick-off event Tuesday night. The blood drive will continue through Thursday at multiple locations on campus.

Laura Geuvjehizian, who works in donor recruitment for the blood center, said it was a busy night.
“We’ve never seen it this busy on a kick-off night. We definitely like it, and we appreciate it,” she said.

The blood center gave away mustache T-shirts and buy-one, get-one-free vouchers to the Big Fresno Fair to people who donated blood.

Geuvjehizian said there were a lot of first-time donors Tuesday night, and 22-year-old Sophie Powell was one of them.

“I had surgery when I was younger and I had to have a blood donation from my mother so I wanted to give back,” she said.

Powell, who is majoring in communicative disorders and deaf studies with an emphasis in interpreting, was excited to get her T-shirt.

Katie Belmore said the convenience of the blood drive is why she donates blood.

“It’s here, so I might as well,” Belmore said.

Belmore said she donated blood in high school so the needle didn’t scare her. Her arm was wrapped in medical adhesive tape and topped with a bow.

Geuvjehizian said the blood center takes all blood types and always needs every blood type.

She said the blood center advises donors to eat a good meal at least four hours before they donate and drink plenty of water.

In order to give blood without parental consent, one must be 17-years-old, weigh 110 pounds, and have good blood pressure, normal iron levels and a normal temperature. Donors must also fill out a 50-question survey that asks lifestyle health questions.