Alumnus, CSU board member Pete Mehas dies at 73

IMG_0274_MEhas_1
The Fresno State community reacted to the Saturday morning passing of honored alumnus Dr. Pete Mehas, celebrated by many for his support of his alma mater.
Roe Borunda / Collegian file photo

With the passing of alumnus Dr. Pete Mehas early Saturday morning, the Fresno State community lost a man noted by many as an unfailing advocate for his alma mater and a fervent Bulldog athletics backer.

According to the Fresno Bee, Dr. Mehas passed away suddenly at Saint Agnes Medical Center from a ruptured thoracic aortic aneurysm, the Fresno Bee reported.

Mehas was 73 years old.

“I worked closely with Pete Mehas for 22 years and never met an individual more loyal to his alma mater and his community,” said John Welty, President Emeritus of Fresno State. “Pete always put the needs of others first in his life and served with great passion and enthusiasm. He often remarked that he owed so much to Fresno State, but it is we who love the university and the community who owe so much to him.”

A native of Fresno, Mehas earned his bachelor’s degree from Fresno State in 1962, his master’s degree from UCLA in 1967, and his doctorate in education from the USC in 1979.

Mehas was an All-American center at Fresno City College and later played on Fresno State’s undefeated 1961 Mercy Bowl football team.

“As a former outstanding Bulldog student-athlete and member of the historical 1961 Mercy Bowl team, Pete embodied the concept of utilizing sport as a foundation for the development of dynamic passion and lifelong leadership skills,” said Thomas Boeh, Fresno State director of athletics. “Pete’s boundless service on behalf of the advancement of education as well as his extraordinary accomplishments as a leader, advocate and mentor, will remain as a continual source of great pride for those serving in the department of athletics and for Bulldogs everywhere.”

During his time as the chairman of the Fresno State Centennial Celebration in 2010-2011, Mehas was interviewed about the impact the university had on his life.

“I am so very, very proud to be a graduate. Thank goodness that I graduated from this university and did graduate work here. My children and my wife have all attended this university. Not only does this community owe a great deal to Fresno State — California State University Fresno — but I personally do as well.”

He started his career as a teacher in Fresno and worked in educational positions on the local, county, state and national levels. Starting in 2007, Mehas served as a member of the board of trustees of the CSU system.

“I served with Dr. Mehas on the CSU board of trustees when I was Fresno State student and, in fact, sat next to him at meetings,” said Russel Statham, former ASI vice president of finance and current Fresno State administrator. “He was one of my biggest mentors, providing me good advice on leadership and how to manage through difficult times. He was a humble servant leader who set a tremendous example for all of us.”

President Joseph Castro said he got to know Mehas when he headed the search committee that eventually hired Castro. Mehas was then a member of Castro’s transition team.

“He was an incredibly talented man who used his gifts to serve others every day of his life,” Castro said. “I will miss his wisdom, warmth and unwavering Bulldog spirit. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Mehas family.”

Mehas is survived by his wife Demi Mehas and daughters Onna Mehas and Alethea Crespo.