A view from the ‘Dog Pound’

The reaction in the stands and on the field Friday night explained everything people needed to know about the significance of the Fresno State Bulldogs beating the Boise State Broncos.

It didn’t matter that Boise State was not a ranked team trying once again to burst Fresno State’s BCS dreams.­ It didn’t matter that this early in the season it’s uncertain what will happen the rest of the way for the Bulldogs.

What mattered was the release of frustration after years of Boise State being the bane of Fresno State happiness””for the team and the fans.

The energy before the game in the student section was noticeably different than two years ago when students launched every insult possible at the Broncos players.­ At the time, it felt like a sad reflection of the competitive difference between the teams.

The student section was confident and reserved Friday night. Most of their vocal energy reserved for cheering on the home team. Long before the rest of the Red Wave arrived in the stadium, the student section was full and barking its greeting to the Bulldogs.

The first quarter started differently, too. It was a Boise State player making a mental mistake. He fielded a return deep in the end zone, only to get tackled at the 14-yard line.

After Fresno State scored to go ahead 7-0 and then forced another Boise State punt, the students were ready to erupt.­ Instead the scoring stalled and much scratching of heads ensued.

Students could be heard grumbling that Fresno State, which finished the night as the better team, was letting Boise State stick around.­ The 24-19 lead at halftime was appreciated, but not comforting after years of watching Boise State find a way to win.

Finally, it seemed students and Bulldogs fans could relax a bit when the lead grew to 34-19 late in the third quarter.

The momentum the Bulldogs built was on the verge of pushing the student section into a party frenzy when Boise State performed its usual magic.

A long kickoff return and a quick 17-second touchdown drive put the Broncos back in the game. Looking at the faces of students there was a universal expression on everyone’d faces:

“Not again.”

Two touchdowns later and a 40-34 Broncos lead was a nightmare turned into reality, and the curses of frustration from students flew through the air.

Then the drive began. With 7:04 showing on the game clock, Derek Carr set out to right past wrongs.

Every student within sight had their eyes set on the field and erupted with each bit of progress down the field.­ The drive was actually going too well.

More than one fan looked at the game clock and could be heard muttering that there was too much time left as the Bulldogs were poised at the Boise State 1-yard line with a little more than two minutes remaining.

When junior Josh Quezada burst into the end zone there was bedlam.­ The score was a tenuous 41-40 in favor of Fresno State.

Of course, Boise State did not wilt away.­ With the ball on the Fresno State 49, a timeout allowed students a chance to catch their breath for the final push. Everyone was standing and “come on defense” could be heard repeatedly like a football prayer.

The decibel-level climbed with the snap of the ball on fourth down.­ When Boise State quarterback Joe Southwick’s heave hit the ground, the noise blasted the figurative roof right off Bulldog Stadium.

The players’ reaction showed the weight of the previous seven years on the hearts and minds of Fresno State players and fans.

After the game, one student explained the game best to a security guard stuck outside the stadium.

“The score was 41-40. Holy smokes, a hell of a ride.”