The professional science mater’s degree will be composed of 10 courses, as well as a project and an internship consisting of 150 hours. Classes include subjects like water policy and climatology. Photo by Roe Borunda / The Collegian

Valves and Value Series: Water management master’s program proposed

Fresno State will be the first university in California to offer a professional science master’s degree in water resource management, if the program is approved for the Fall 2013 semester.

Peter Van de Water of the earth and environmental sciences department said this new professional science master’s (PSM) degree is targeted for working professionals who need to advance their education. The new degree requires students to already have a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) certificate or the equivalent work experience.

The professional science mater’s degree will be composed of 10 courses, as well as a project and an internship consisting of 150 hours. Classes include subjects like water policy and climatology.
Photo by Roe Borunda / The Collegian

Completion of the PSM will take between two to 2 ½ years. There are already nearly 100 students on the waitlist for courses in the fall.

Van de Water said the program has already garnered praise. The program is structured so that people who work in the periphery of water management will be attracted to it.

“It is seen as something that is needed in the Valley,” Van de Water said.

The program is made up 10 courses: geospatial technologies, climatology, water economics, hydrological systems, natural and agriculture uses of water, urban and industrial water systems, water politics and policy, environmental policy for water management, an internship consisting of 150 hours and a report and a project class.

Each class explores important aspects of water management. The climatology class will teach how to obtain water for use on the continents; the hydrology class will demonstrate how to extract water from where it naturally occurs. The water economics class with put a price unit on the uses of water; and the water politics and policy class will focus specifically on water use in California and the western United States.

Van de Water said the Valley is facing a number of potential water problems in the future due to an increase in population and a corresponding increase in water use. The only source of water for the Valley is from the mountains, and climate change is making that source less reliable.

“In going forward, the only option is to be more efficient and smarter. We really need more education,” Van de Water said.

Most of the students who will participate in the program will already be working in a field that has a background in water at their jobsite. Van de Water said the program will be a tool to advance within their organization.

A push for this type of degree began under the direction of the former dean of the college of math and sciences, Andrew Rogerson. Rogerson ran a similar program from a university he formerly worked at in Florida. Since then, a movement at Fresno State for each college to have an online program began.

“This was our answer to that,” Van de Water said.

In 2008, there was a call for proposals from the National Science Foundation, which bore the idea for this program. Although the first push for the program was unsuccessful, in 2010 the program was proposed again, this time in-house at Fresno State.

Currently, the last approval the program must receive is from the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. The decision to approve the program will not be made until June, providing a small time frame for faculty and students to prepare for courses in the fall.

$100
$500

$100
$500

BananaSlugApr 16, 2013 at 10:17 am

Well said, BulldogAlum. I’m certain this program will have a significant focus on agricultural water use, but so what? It’s the primary use of water in the state, not to mention within the region this program will be located. Let them come here, or, encourage universities within SoCal or the Bay Area to develop their own program(s) with a focus on what Ms. Stuvick thinks is important within the vacuum of her SoCal environmental academia.

• L

Lindsey StuvickApr 15, 2013 at 11:01 am

I’m really excited that the cal state system is instituting a water management professional masters. My concern is that Fresno is located rather far away from the state’s population nodes. If this program was somewhere near LA or the Bay Area it would make more sense. Hopefully, they develop and online version of the graduate degree so other water managers across the state can participate. Another concern is that this program will be too focused on agricultural water, because it is located in Fresno. Hopefully Cal State Fresno releases more info about the program soon.

BulldogAlumApr 15, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Well, Lindsey, if everyone thought that way, why put any program at Fresno State (not Cal State Fresno)? If it’s too far away from LA or SF, then why bother even having new pioneering programs at FRESNO STATE? It’s thinking like yours that limits our fine institution. Fresno State needs to be a leader and not a follower and it shouldn’t matter whether it will cater to the Bay Area or SoCal. They obviously don’t take into consideration how far Fresno is from LA or how far Fresno is from SF. My point being, who gives a crap about what LA or SF think? If they want to enroll in this program, they’ll have to do what people in Central California have had to do for decades: COMMUTE or RELOCATE. Why should it be any different just because we aren’t located in the Bay or in SoCal? Let them come here.