Softball: Compton pitches shutout on Sunday

The Fresno State soft- ball team’s Mountain West Conference championship hopes took a major hit over the weekend.

The Bulldogs lost two of three games to the San Diego State Aztecs, leaving them with an 8-7 conference record and a 27-22 overall record.

After losing the first two games of the series Friday and Saturday, the Bulldogs final- ly got in the win column on Sunday.

Freshman pitcher Jill Compton tossed her sixth shutout of the season and the Bulldogs defeated the Aztecs 4-0 on Sunday.

“Jill is capable of doing whatever she wants to do, but­she is still learning to keep that focus with every pitch,” Fresno State head coach Trisha Ford said of Compton’s performance in a press release. “Today she did a great job. She does a real- ly great job on Sundays. She was mixing her pitches well and came up with the big pitch- es when she needed to keep us in the ball game.”

Compton went the distance, limiting the Aztecs to just five hits and striking out four.

Fresno State got to San Diego State ace Rebecca Arbino late. The Bulldogs took the lead with one run in the fifth inning and gave Compton some insur- ance with three runs in the sixth inning.

Michelle Solomon led the way, going 2-for-4 with one RBI and one run scored, Vonnie

Martin went 2-for-4 with one run scored, Paige Gumz went 1-for-3 with one RBI, and Kapri Angotti went 1-for-3 with one RBI.

With an 8-4 conference record, San Diego State is in first place in the Mountain West Conference.

The Bulldogs (8-7) aren’t mathematically eliminated from regular season champion- ship hopes, but would need to sweep New Mexico during the final conference series of the season, and would need a lot of help with three teams ahead of them in the standings.

Fresno State hosts New Mexico May 3-5 in the final homestand of the season. The seniors on the team will be honored before the final home game on Sunday.