Fresno State’s Sara Weber (19) and nine other seniors will be honored before Saturday’s 1 p.m. game against UC Davis at Bulldog Stadium. Brad Soo / The Collegian

Lacrosse: Seniors to be honored in home finale

Fresno State's Sara Weber (19) and nine other seniors will be honored before Saturday's 1 p.m. game against UC Davis at Bulldog Stadium. Brad Soo / The Collegian

The Fresno State lacrosse team, in its fifth year of existence, continues to grow in its senior class — from the two seniors that were sent off near the end of the season last year to the 10 that have led the Bulldogs through this season.

Fresno State will honor its 10 seniors — Paula Badali, Taylor Fiehler, Natalie Harrington, Lauren Natale, Vanessa Swalwell, Sophie Walker, Sara Weber, Sarah Weeks, Katie Wilbur and Margaret Wolford — before Saturday’s 1 p.m. home finale against UC Davis at Bulldog Stadium.

“It’s been great having their leadership,” Fresno State coach Jessica Pausewang said.

“I’m really happy with what they’ve contributed to the program, and I think they want to show it in the next couple of games and really leave their mark. It’s going to be really nice getting a chance to honor them for all their work.”

Fresno State is coming off an 18-8 loss to Oregon on Wednesday in Mountain Pacific Sports Federation play.

The Bulldogs (2-10, 0-5 MPSF) fell into a 7-1 hole 14 minutes into regulation against the Ducks after getting an early 1-0 lead off an unassisted Harrington goal.

“I think that as a team we came out strong and scored the first goal,” Pausewang said.

“We had a really good run toward the end of the first half. Oregon’s a good team, and the way we played against them has been some of the best I’ve ever seen us play against them.”

The Bulldogs will take on UC Davis in MPSF play on Saturday in their final home game of the season.

Fresno State will conclude the regular season with road games against Saint Mary’’s on Wednesday and USC on April 20.

“I think we’ve improved from last year,” Pausewang said. “We had some really great opportunities. We just need to finish and be a consistent 60-minute team.

“That’s our biggest problem right now. It’s something that we’re working on and we know it’s an issue.”

Last season, it was the Bulldogs who played spoiler to the Aggies and their senior day.

Fresno State, which won its first game in program history last season, concluded the regular season with an upset over a heavily favored Aggies squad on the road, 12-11, in overtime last year.

It was also the Bulldogs’ first conference win in program history.

This season, UC Davis is 3-8 overall and 0-4 in conference play.

“I think that it’s going to be a great game,” Pausewang said.

“I think that if we come out and fix those problems I think we’re a force to be reckoned with. I know how bad they want it, and I want it to translate to how they’re playing on the field.”