Fresno State Tennis Report: ‘Dogs take on MWC tourney

The Fresno State women’s tennis team take on Wyoming in the quarterfinal round of the Mountain West Conference tournament knowing that it has the league’s best freshman.

Rana Sherif Ahmed, who has played at the top of the Bulldogs’ singles and doubles ladder for most of the season, was named this season’s Mountain West Freshman of the Year by the league’s coaches on Thursday.

The third-seeded Bulldogs take on No. 6 Wyoming today at 2 p.m. in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Ahmed was also named to the All-Mountain West Singles Team after finishing the season 9-12 overall and 3-5 in conference play. Her and Melissa McQueen (13-4 overall in doubles play this season and 6-2 in conference play) were earned All-Mountain West Doubles Team honors, as well.

Fresno State finished the regular season 14-7 and 7-2 in the Mountain West.

Men’s team ends season in 6-1 loss

The Fresno State men’s tennis team made a quick exit in this season’s Mountain West tournament, losing 6-1 to fourth-seeded and nationally ranked New Mexico on Thursday in the conference quarterfinals.

Freshman Nikolas Papic scored the sole point for the Bulldogs in singles play.

Sophomore Reid deLaubenfels, who forced his singles match against the Lobos into a third set, earned a spot on the All-Mountain West Singles Team. DeLaubenfels finished the season 16-18 in singles play.

The Bulldogs, with a six-man roster, concluded the season 7-17.