Fresno State students participate in the first Fresno State Dance Marathon, sponsored by ASI. The event raised funds for the Bulldog Pantry. Photo by Roe Borunda / The Collegian

Dance Marathon raises money, the roof

The Fresno State Dance Marathon was held Saturday evening in the Student Recreation Center. The marathon raised money on behalf of the Bulldog Pantry. Associated Students Inc. (ASI) as well as the Student Recreation Center, Administrative Services, Greek Life, Auxiliary Student Union, University Student Union, Student Affairs and Alumni Association.

With caution tape cordoning off the exercise machines, flashing lights and music blaring, the Recreation Center was transformed into a dance club.

Fresno State students participate in the first Fresno State Dance Marathon, sponsored by ASI. The event raised funds for the Bulldog Pantry.
Photo by Roe Borunda / The Collegian

The fundraiser gave students the opportunity to reach out to their friends, family and community for donations to the Bulldog Pantry.­ For every hour a student danced, a sponsor pledged a certain amount of money.

Kris Wescott, a Fresno sate students majoring in kinesiology raised $200 dollars by pledging to dance for the full eight hours.­ He is the chairman for the University Student Union board of directors.

“Once it becomes a tradition, its going to be amazing,” Wescott said.

That doesn’t mean students in attendance didn’t have fun. Yasmeena Alqatami, a Fresno State student majoring in recreation administration spoke with enthusiasm.

“Everyone is pumped up and dancing,” she said, while taking a break from the marathon.

Alqatami raised $40 for the Bulldog Pantry. Alqatami said she expected more student turnout.

Emceeing the event were Miss Fresno County Elizabeth Farr and Fresno State student Kenny Umeh.

Parmita Chourdhury, this year’s ASI executive vice president was executive director of the marathon planning committee.

“It’s a big fundraiser,” Choudhury said. “Its an exciting way to fundraise because who’s not going to have fun dancing at an event like this?”

She said the same type of events put on by Penn State and UCLA inspired the marathon.

Last year, Penn State raised $12 million at its dance marathon fundraiser, which lasted 40 hours. The marathon at UCLA was 26 hours long.

Fresno State student Evan Selander attended on behalf of his fraternity, Sigma Chi.

“Its definitely cool to see all of Fresno State get together,” said Selander. “Because we don’t really see events like this, as often as other campuses.”