5K race honors founder of enology dept.

The Viticulture Club hosted its second annual Papa Petrucci Vineyard 5K Run/Walk/Stroll on Sunday.

Vincent E. Petrucci, or “Papa Petrucci,” as he is known, is a legend known by most viticulture and enology faculty, staff and students as the “godfather” of their program.

“He is accredited for the development of the department,” said Steve Smith, Viticulture Club presi- dent. “When we’re talking about this program, we’re talking about Papa Petrucci.”

Smith said the event is held during Vintage Days for the publicity and to integrate the department into the Vintage Days event.

All proceeds benefit the V.E. Petrucci Library, which is located in the viticulture and enology building, Smith said.

Petrucci graduated with an enology and viticulture degree from U.C. Davis. In 1948, Petrucci, with the encouragement of his father Vincent C. Petrucci, took on the task of creating the enology and viticulture department at Fresno State.

“If I developed it [the program] successfully I would get the credit. If not, I would have to accept failure,” Petrucci said. “I was not about to accept failure.”

Petrucci not only developed the academic side of the program, he also developed the facility and in 1952, chartered the Viticulture Club.

“There were no shoes for me to fill,” Petrucci said. “The opportunity for someone to develop something new, especially as a college graduate, is rare.”

Petrucci said he feels honored to have the library, which was originally named after his father who sponsored it, now named after him.

“I encourage students to utilize the VERC library,” Petrucci said.

Smith said that the number of participants nearly doubled from last year. This year, there were 68 total participants.

Charles Boyer, dean of the Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology, was in attendance along with other faculty and staff from the agriculture department.

Some of Petrucci’s family participated in the 5K.

Heather San Julian, Petrucci’s great niece, heard about the fundraising event through her family.

“I decided to participate because I like to run, and I like wine,” San Julian said.

Alex Vaux, grandson of Petrucci, ran the 5K for the second time.

“My goal is to run more than I walked last year,” he said.

John Viano, a senior studying viticulture, finished first in the men’s race. “I would’ve been happy with top 10,” Viano said.

Viano is part of the Viticulture Club and said he likes to donate to the library. Petrucci said he is happy with what his successors are doing.

“The tradition continues,” he said.