MWC reaches TV deal with ESPN

The Mountain West Conference and ESPN reached a deal that will give the league more national TV exposure.

Beginning with the 2013-14 season, up to 44 football and 56 men’s basketball games will be televised annually on ESPN networks and The CBS Sports Network.

The conference’s agreements with both broadcast networks are scheduled to run concurrently through the 2019-20 season.

“The Mountain West looks forward to rejoining the ESPN networks beginning with our 15th season this fall,” said Mountain West Commissioner Craig Thompson in a news release.

“Coupled with CBS Sports Network, we anticipate tremendous national exposure over several outlets as the league continues its growth and development.”

CBS Sports Network will remain the primary rights holder for the Mountain West, though ESPN will control the rights to Boise State home football games.

Up to 16 Mountain West football games plus every Boise State home football game will air on ESPN’s networks. ESPN will televise up to 31 men’s basketball games, as well.

The financial terms of the agreement have not been disclosed.

ESPN televised four Mountain West football games in 2012 through a sublicense agreement.

“It’s great to be back in business with the Mountain West,” said Burke Magnus, ESPN senior vice president of college sports in a separate release. “We look forward to once again showcasing the league’s institutions, student-athletes and compelling storylines across multiple sports and ESPN platforms.”

Fresno State had 12 of its 13 football games televised (two of them were on the CBS Sports Network, and the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl against SMU was nationally televised on ESPN).

Seven Fresno State men’s basketball games were televised this season. Five Fresno State football games were broadcast on ESPN networks in 2011.

Fresno State opens the 2013-14 season on Aug. 29 at Bulldog Stadium against Rutgers.