Women’s Tennis: Bulldogs sweep weekend home stand

Olga_WEB(Borunda)
Senior Olga Kirpicheva serves the ball during the Bulldogs’ 5-2 win against UC Davis at the Wathen Tennis Center on Saturday. Roe Borunda / The Collegian

The Fresno State women’s tennis team sent the UC Davis Aggies home with a 6-2 loss Saturday at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center.

Fresno State also beat Sacramento State 6-1 on Friday.

“We defended the home court, which I think is the most important thing,” head coach Ryan Stotland said. “We learned a lot from this weekend that we need for our next match, a conference match.”

The match began with the Bulldogs sweeping UCD in doubles.

Olga Kirpicheva and Anneka Watts finished their match on Court 3 first against Megan Heneghan and Melissa Kobayakawa 8-3.

Aishwarya Agrawal and Bianca Modoc, nationally ranked 53 in doubles, defeated Ellie Edles and Tiffany Pham 8-5 on Court 1.

The duo on court two made up of Melissa McQueen and Rana Sherif Ahmed swept up the doubles point for Fresno State, beating Nicole Koehly and Layla Sanders 8-4.

A warm morning changed to a cold, cloudy day as the match went on.

“The temperature affects both sides, so there are no excuses as we like to say,” Stotland said.

The weather did not affect the outcome of the match as the Bulldogs continued to roll in the singles competitions.

McQueen made short work of her opponent, Edles, to be the first to finish with a score of 6-3, 6-4 on Court 3.

On Court 5, Watts kept her cool and defeated the frustrated Koehly 6-3, 6-1.

Agrawal was consistent and held on after a late-game surge by UC Davis’ Sanders, winning the match 6-4, 6-4.

The first loss for the `Dogs came on Court 1. After an evenly matched first set, Ahmed ran out of gas and fell to Heneghan 7-5, 6-0.

Fresno State’s Anne Susdorf took down Pham in a second set tie breaker on Court 6. Susdorf walked off the court winning 6-3, 7-6 (7-4).

The final match of the women’s matchup came on Court 4 between Modoc and Kobayakawa. Modoc played the longest match of the day, but was unable to come away with a win in a third-set tiebreak heartbreaker. Kobayakawa beat Modoc 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (11-9).

With the match against the Aggies in the books, the Bulldogs have a two-week break before meeting the Nevada Wolf pack in Reno, Nev., for a conference game.

“Conference season is definitely a lot of pressure, but we have been doing so well and we have a few weeks of practice before our conference games, so we are going to get ready and prepare for it,” Agrawal said.

The lineup continues to change on a match-by-match basis. Stotland said the team really stepped up, and they need to figure out who handles the pressure better than everyone else.

He said, “I think we are heading into conference season as the favorite in most of our matches.”

$100
$500

$100
$500

Maria MFeb 25, 2013 at 11:14 am

Congrats to the Bulldogs! Sounds like it was a great day of tennis all-around. Thanks for the update!