Service fair broadens students’ horizons

Community_CMYK(Price)J_1

Community organizations have reached out to Fresno State students so they can reach out to the community.

Fresno State held a Community Service Opportunities Fair in the Satellite Student Union on Wednesday. About 58 community agencies from the Fresno area came to give students information about possible internships and volunteer opportunities.

The community service fair is held once a semester to help students find organizations to broaden their horizons or complete class requirements as well as help the community.

Renee Delport, the special events and project coordinator for the event, feels the fair is “a nice catalyst to spur students along to internships and volunteering.”

More than 150 classes on campus require that students fulfill an amount of community service hours, Delport said.

Anya Goosev and Sandra Santiago-Pinheiro, representatives from the American Red Cross, were at the booth with information on what they were looking for.

“We are recruiting volunteers for several departments within the Red Cross, Goosev said. These include internship opportunities as well as other opportunities. We are looking for students from every major, so there are no exclusions.”

Hundreds of students attended the fair in an attempt to find something to fill their community service requirement. Ricardo Monay, a senior psychology major, used the fair in a different way.

“I’m not sure what I am going to do careerwise yet, so I thought I would come here to get some insight to what is available to students and myself,” Monay said. “It is very broad, but it gives me a good opportunity to see something I might like.”

While some booths used the normal methods for attracting students, the Sierra Foothill Conservancy brought in an adult, red-tailed hawk to attract passersby.

Cat Krosschell, a master falconer, was in constant conversation with students drawn in by the large bird explaining the importance of the organization she works with.

Every year for the past three years, students and faculty of Fresno State have completed more than 1 million hours of community service, Delport said.

Many of the organizations attempting to gather new volunteers were groups associated with Fresno State. Don Romsa, project adviser for Bulldog Pantry and the Smile Center, was present.

“This is a chance for us to let the students know about our programs and what we do,” Romsa said. “If they are interested, then we put them on our list and keep them informed about helping us.”

“The focus is to provide information to the students who want to volunteer and give access to internship opportunities,” Delport said.