ASI sets up semester plans

Upcoming events, a senatorial appointment and budget information were discussed at the Associated Students Inc. (ASI) meeting, held on Wednesday evening in University Student Union, Room 312.Upcoming ASI-sponsored events include Crime Prevention Week in February, which will feature a self-defense workshop at the Student Recreation Center. It will be taught by UFC street fighter and MMA champion Bas “El Guapo” Rutten.

ASI also introduced Fresno State 101 ”” a program aiming to prepare students interested in running for ASI offices. The free workshops will be held from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the Henry Madden Library, Room 3212 on Jan. 29, Feb. 5 and Feb. 12.

All three workshops must be attended to earn a certificate of completion.

Also announced was ASI’s new partnership with Fresno State’s radio station, 90.7 KFSR. The radio station will feature a student-run show on Thursdays from 9 p.m. to midnight. The show will be jockeyed by Jordan King, ASI’s communications assistant and president of the Fresno State chapter of Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA).

Emily Bosh was unanimously appointed senator of the College of Health and Human Services.

“What drew me to ASI is the impact that a senator can have on the campus in terms of representing students, voting on important matters and being a voice for the campus,” Bosh said.

As senator for Health and Human Services, Bosh not only represents and advocates on behalf of Fresno State students, she must also raise students’ awareness of programs and services provided by the college.

A 21-year-old Sacramento native, Bosh transferred to Fresno State in the fall of 2011 after she earned her associate degree in liberal arts from American River College. Now in her senior year, she is majoring in recreation administration with an emphasis in commercial recreation and event planning.

Bosh said her passion for campus involvement pushed her to join as many clubs and groups as possible when she came to Fresno. She quickly took on leadership roles and became president of the Recreation Association and a coordinator for Vintage Days. After this she decided to apply for the senator position.

While her term is only for this semester, Bosh said she looks forward to making a difference on campus, representing students and growing as a leader.

“She seems like a very outgoing, hard-working and ambitious young woman who loves to be involved on campus,” said Rebecca Rosengarten, ASI vice president of finances.

Along with event information and Bosh’s appointment, the ASI budget was discussed.

There was a change made in the activity grant funding policies for club sports. The policy adjustment will include funding for athletic trainers and money provided every three years for new, non-personalized team uniforms.

ASI will vote on this specific matter at the next senate meeting, Rosengarten said.

The student government organization’s overall budget of $618,900 comes from student fees. This includes a line item of $15,000 dedicated to new programs. Due to the creation of three new programs, the line item budget has been reduced to $11,000.

“Officers and the senate are trying to give back to the student body in ways that they can take advantage of and benefit from,” Rosengarten added.