Roger Heckel (right), an art major with an emphasis in studio art, shows graphic design major Noel Lenard a piece from a fall collection made for the 2012 Student Art Exhibition. Photos by Sergio Robles / The Collegian

Variety of styles shown at art exhibition

Roger Heckel (right), an art major with an emphasis in studio art, shows graphic design major Noel Lenard a piece from a fall collection made for the 2012 Student Art Exhibition.
Photos by Sergio Robles / The Collegian

Senior art was the focus at this week’s 2012 Student Art Exhibition at the Conley Art Building.

The reception took place Thursday at 5 p.m., and featured pieces by students inside the gallery. The exhibition will be in the Conley Art Gallery until Wednesday.

Pieces from several disciplines were represented inside of the building, and art clubs were selling their wares outside to raise money for their groups.

The gallery technology class organized the show and brought in a musician, food and refreshments for all of the guests enjoying the art.

Nancy Youdelman, who teaches the gallery technology course, was enjoying the night taking photos of all the student art.

“It’s all very impressive and the art has a lot of variety,” Youdelman said. “It takes so much skill to make pieces like these.”

Some of the students featured were not art majors. Angelina Duarte, a senior psychology major, took inspiration from her own field and made a raku sculpture of a doll titled, “Innocence.”

“I’m into more of the creepy and dark kind of sculptures,” Duarte said. “I decided to make a mold out of a baby doll and make it into something else.”

Raku is when midway through heating a clay sculpture in an oven, into a barrel with newspaper. The material cracks and is stained with the smoke giving it a unique look, Duarte said.

“I’m very honored to have my piece in the show,” she said.

Fresno State’s Ceramic Guild, which made up of about 15 members, had a large table outside the gallery with many pieces available for sale.

Stephanie Conmy, a senior art major, worked for the club selling pieces.

“I took a ceramics class and fell in love,” Conmy said. “I never thought I could do art, so when I got into ceramics, it was just amazing.”

She has been working with ceramics for two years and prefers to make thrown pieces made on a ceramics wheel.

Along with ceramics and screen-printed shirts, glass-blown pieces were also for sale. Roger Heckel, an art major with an emphasis on studio art and president of the Fresno State glass blowing club, was selling his art pieces.

“It’s one of the most difficult art styles to get proficient at because there are so many things that can go wrong. I love the challenge,” Heckel said.

A student musician played handmade instruments to add ambiance to the art show.

One of the artists featured in the gallery was Sakis Manavazian, who studies art with a focus on photography. His piece is a black and white photo of light flowing through a barn.

“Originally, it was a project for my art 130 class focusing on light,” Manavazian said. “That piece is part of a series with light shining through it.”

The photo was a spontaneous and on-the-spot decision, which worked out in the long run, he said.

“I think it’s a good show,” Manavazian said. “There is a lot of different stuff ”” not just painting, photography or ceramics. It is a wide range of art that really pulls in art enthusiasts.”

$100
$500

$100
$500

Jared WilliamsDec 9, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I was also honored to be in the Student show, my painting was picked over a lot which was a large shock. I entered 2 ceramic pieces which were not accepted. My painting titled “Lilly” really was fun to paint I hope to get the inspiration for another large painting.