Phillip Thomas becomes school’s first unanimous All-American

Fresno State senior safety Phillip Thomas now belongs in a class of his own after becoming the school’s first unanimous All-American Friday after being named to 2012 Football Writers Association of America All-America team.

Thomas has been selected to All-America teams from all of the five organizations used to determine unanimous All-America status.

Thomas has been a first-team All-America selection by The Associated Press, Sportimg News, The America Football Coaches Association and the Walter Camp Football Foundation.

“It means a lot. I’ve been very appreciative of all the accolades and notoriety I’m getting right now,” Thomas said in a statement released by the school’s athletics department. “I just appreciate my teammates because they do it for me as well as I do it for them and they deserve the credit. None of the accolades I got — All-America team or anything — has been me by myself.

“It’s just a good thing for Fresno State football to be able to have something like this happen to get people around the nation to notice Fresno State football.”

Thomas, whose team-high 82 tackles and nation-best eight intercpetions also helped earn him Mountain West Conference Defensive Player of the Year honors, was a first-team All-America selection by ESPN.com and Sports Illustrated, as well.

The senior safety was also presented the­with the 2012 College Football Performance Awards Defensive Back Trophy Wednesday night.

After missing the previous year with a broken leg and dislocated ankle, Thomas helped lead a resurgence on defense this season. The 9-3 Bulldogs forced a total of 33 turnovers en route to capturing a share of the Mountain West championship after a nine-turnover, 4-9 season in 2011.

Thomas, along with 21 other seniors, will play his final game as a Bulldog on Christmas Eve in the 2012 Sheraton Hawaii Bowl against SMU.