Online book renewal offered in the library

Fresno State students are able to renew their library book rentals online using their My Library login account.

Although this service has been available to students since 2007, very few student seem to know about how easy it is to access.

Students can go online to the Henry Madden Library website and log into their My Library account.­ When students access their book rentals, there will be a link to renew those rentals within a few simple clicks.

The idea behind the new online interface is to make check out renewals much easier for students without losing its effectiveness.­ Living in a new age of technology, this addition to the Madden Library online interface should help students remain mobile even more than before.

David Tyckoson, associate dean of library services, hopes to make the process of book renewals easier on students and faculty.

“It’s convenient for students because you don’t have to bring the books back in.­ If you go online you can renew it.­ You can do it 24/7 whether we are open or not.­ It’s a bonus for our staff in that that’s fewer transactions that we handle,” Tyckoson said.

With most checkouts loaned for only 21 days, students frequently have to renew a loaned book depending on the length assignment and material needed.

The library administration is hoping that the new process or renewal online can make it less stressful and more available for students to renew their books.

Christina Briones, a student assistant at the Circulation Desk, thinks the link will help both students and faculty by keeping the loan renewal option available online during non-library hours.

“I think it‘s a benefit because students don‘t have to bring their books in and check them in and out,” Briones said. “It also makes it easier on us for them to renew the books on their own time.”

Those who rent books agreed that the new renewal policy should benefit students.­ Autumn Gee, a junior at Fresno State, was attempting to renew her books at the Circulation Desk when she was informed about the new renewal policy.

“Our backpacks are heavy enough as it is.­ Renewing them online will definitely be convenient,” Gee said.

Gee expressed her concern that, although efficient, she worries about the availability of certain books if renewals become too easy for students.

“I believe the problem will come up when the semester ends and you can‘t find the books.”

Students concerned about book availability issues should know about the renewal and holding policy at the library.­­ Library administration said that if a students needs a book that is checked out, students can request a hold for that book.­ This hold will deny the current book user a renewal because of another student’s request (hold) for that book.

Also available to students, if the book they need is checked out, is the LINK+ system in the library and online.­ LINK+ allows students to request books from other schools across California that would be delivered to Fresno State in just a few days for loan.

Other circumstances that would not allow a student to renew online would be if he or she was past the deadline to renew.­ If the date the book was due for return has passed, the book(s) must be brought in and fines paid before it would be loaned out again.

These policies of the library will make sure to allow access for all students to all books in a timely manner.

If students do not feel comfortable online, they are still able to renew their checkouts at the Circulation Desk on the first floor of the library.

For more information, visit the Henry Madden Library website online at www.fresnostate.edu/library or visit the Circulation Desk in the library.