Link+ offers wider range of resources

The Henry Madden Library has made available a catalog that allows Fresno State students to access books all over the country in as few as two days.

Link+ provides students quick access to libraries in California and Nevada.­ The database was put together to service students who cannot find books in their own campus libraries.

Through Link+, students can access other libraries by filling out forms available online.­ The request forms are processed, and within a few days, the books are at the requesters’ libraries for check-out.

Any items requested through Link+ may arrive within two to four days and will be held up to 10 days at the student’s request.­ Some media will be held for only five days.

Items found through Link+ are generally loaned out for 21 days. However, some media is only out allowed for seven days.­ Students are encouraged to find out how long they are given on loans.

Dave Tyckoson, associate dean of library services, thinks that Link+ is a great addition and hopes that more students will learn about and use the service.

“We provide the service so that people can get the books that they need. It includes academic and public library resources. Feel free to order any book that is available in the system, whether it is an academic text or a novel that you want to read for pleasure,” Tyckoson said.

The idea of Link+ is to make materials more available to students so that their research and discovery process are not hindered by unavailable materials.­ Link+ can make renting books from the library more appealing and make materials more readily available.

Javier Lopez, a student at Fresno State, has seen a link online for the service and thinks that it can really help kids with papers and projects.

“It makes research a lot easier, instead of having to go look up books.­ It gives you a chance to view articles from other places and just makes research easier,” Lopez said.

Tyckoson thinks that Link+ should help students with access to so many books, articles and materials, and it is available 24 hours a day and seven days a week.

“Link+ connects about 50 libraries throughout California and Nevada. If we do not have a book — or if ours is checked out — you can order the book through Link+, and it will arrive in two days,” Tyckoson said. “So what it does is get students the books that they need if we do not have one.”

Link+ has been available to students since 2007, and library services is hoping that more students will use the program.

When asked what advice he would give to students about Link+, Tyckoson recommended they “use it.”

There is no charge to access Link+ and students can access the website online at csul.iii.com.­ You can go online or contact the library with any questions regarding Link+.