Highway construction affects commuters

Fresno State students commuting from the South Valley will be glad to hear that Caltrans has teamed up with Diablo Construction and Tulare County Association of Governments to expand State Highway 99 in an effort to make the drive for commuters quicker and safer.

The project includes a 13.8-mile stretch of Highway 99 between Kingsburg and Goshen costing an estimated $110 million, $70 million of which is available through Proposition 1B that was passed by voters in 2006.

The expansion would help many of the Fresno State commuters who travel south of Kingsburg by cutting back on the congestion and accidents on the freeway.

Director of Caltrans Cindy McKim explained in a press release given by Caltrans how most of the money has been provided for construction.

“Proposition 1B is paying for vital transportation projects that relieve traffic congestion and strengthen our economy by providing jobs when we most need them,” McKim said.

The project will add two lanes, making the four-lane into a six-lane which will allow for a more steady flow of traffic through the valley.­ The result should make it easier for those commuting to Fresno from Visalia or Bakersfield for either school or work.

Tami Conrado, a spokesman for Caltrans, explained that there are many different organizations and people coming together to make this big of a project go smoothly with as little hassle as possible for drivers.

“This project is consistent with the Route Concept, the Interregional Transportation Strategic Plan the Route 99 Business Plan, the Corridor System Management Plan, and the Tulare and Fresno Regional Transportation Plans,” Conrado said. “It continues the objective of widening all of State Route 99 to a minimum of a six-lane freeway throughout the San Joaquin Valley.”

The project is designed to help with safety and the flow of traffic that is expected to double between 2010 and 2040.­ This would make roads safer for the Highway Patrol and drivers, which include many Fresno State students.

Kristen Chambers, a Visalia native who travels to Fresno for school, commutes everyday and thinks that the construction is long overdue and is upset that it did not happened sooner.

“I have been driving that road for three years and now they want to fix it?” Chambers said. “Better late than never I guess.”

Some other students aren’t so excited about the expansion.­ Jordan Dooley, a junior at Fresno State, thinks that the project could eventually have a negative affect on the county.

“The construction on Highway 99 is a double-edged sword for me,” Dooley said.­ “I believe that the expansion will positively help traffic, but at the same time it has to have a negative effect on agriculture and the Valley’s air pollution.”

Christine Chavez, the regional planner for the Tulare County Association of Governments, was on sight for the ground breaking ceremony in the fall of 2011.­ Chavez made it clear she thought it was a good idea not only for the commuters but for local business in the Valley as well.

“We are one of the last counties to get the expansion and it is welcomed by drivers and businesses alike,” Chavez said.

The project will also include Highway 99 bridges at the Kings River to be replaced.­ Sound walls will be constructed at various locations. In the Kingsburg area, median and oleander planting will be replaced with paved shoulders and a concrete median barrier.

The expansion will be especially useful during the foggy months in the Valley. Hopefully, this will encourage other people debating whether or not to attend Fresno State because of the drive time and conditions.