Fresno State College Republican named ‘Tax Fighter of the Year’

Fresno State student Daniel Harrison has been named the 2012 Tax Fighter of the Year, an award from the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association.

The award was given at a “No on 30” rally at BRE Software in Fresno on Oct. 25 by the taxpayer association’s president, Jon Coupal.

“I feel honored,” Harrison said. “When they first told me, I thought they were going to ask me to help present the award to the winner.”

According to a press release issued by Harrison’s campaign, the association stated it chose him because of “his willingness to stand up against Proposition 30 and his ability to educate and engage young people on the issue.”

Harrison, 21, is the youngest recipient of the award, thus far.

Chairman of the Fresno State College Republicans, Harrison sees the award as an opportunity to showcase his credibility since he also is running in the upcoming election for the Fresno Unified Board of Trustees, Area 6 seat.

“Being a young candidate, credibility is extremely vital to how the campaign comes about,” Harrison said. “If the media doesn’t take you seriously, voters won’t take you seriously.”

Harrison is currently in his last semester at Fresno State. He is majoring in both economics and political science.­ Harrison said politics is taking precedent over the children, and he wants to bring priority to Fresno Unified students.

Harrison’s parents are both educators in Fairfield, near Harrison’s hometown of Vacaville. He said many of his family members are or were educators, and he feels a strong connection to education.

“My life is committed to serving others,” Harrison said. “I feel I have a lot to offer education.”

Harrison feels he has gained a perspective of what Fresno needs in terms of education from his years living here and attending Fresno State.

He has developed a two-part test that, he said, will guide him through decision-making, should he be elected. To secure a vote from him, motions must make financial sense and must benefit students, he explained.

Harrison will be running against incumbent Janet Ryan, George Whitman, Carole Blomgren and­ Ken Trapp. Voting will take place Nov. 6.

Harrison feels confident in his­ abilities and his campaign, he said.

“The mission of my campaign is to put students before politics,” Harrison said.