The Midnight Dance Fusion performs a flash mob for the second time this year promoting health awareness and entertaining students in the Free Speech Area. Rachel Waldron / The Collegian

Flash mob swarms Free Speech Area

The Midnight Dance Fusion performs a flash mob for the second time this year promoting health awareness and entertaining students in the Free Speech Area.
Rachel Waldron / The Collegian

Music overtook the Free Speech Area Tuesday as 65 dancers participated in a flash mob to help promote the Midnight Dance Fusion class, as well as good health.

Before the performance began, a large crowd had gathered to watch the show about to take place.

Dancers in white tank tops ran through the crowd with a boom box around noon to initiate a dance battle with another group coming from the other side of the onlookers.

The Midnight Dance Fusion class performed the flash mob in front of more than 100 onlookers. Many genres from teen pop to rap, and hip-hop to dubstep were included in the six-minute performance.

Javier Perez, a mechanical engineering major, danced throughout the performance.

“We wanted to surprise everyone and show them a good time,” Perez said.

Students of many majors were involved, from mass communications and journalism to environmental science.

The Midnight Dance Fusion class appeals to students who may feel self-conscious about their own dancing by having the lights off.

Instructor of the Midnight Dance Fusion course AJ Lacuesta uses his personal club lights to make the setting like a big dance party.

The class serves to be a fun alternative to traditional dance classes while also helping students become better and more confident dancers.

The flash mob event was to promote spirit week as well as to advocate health and wellness.

Sophomore biology major Ruby Sultan took part in the dancing.

“It was a month and a half of practice two nights a week to put this on,” Sultan said. “It’s really fun and a good thing to do if you want to be involved in something.”

Many of the moves are learned in class as well as pulled from other sources to create a synchronized routine to dazzle its audience.

The performance involved many different styles of music and wardrobe changes mid dance, including many brightly colored shirts.

Lacuesta planned and coordinated the event that took place while many students walked through the free speech area between classes.

Lacuesta leads the class and also participates in the flash mobs and dances along with the other students.

The Midnight Dance Fusion class also performed a flash mob last semester on March 15 to promote the class as a healthy and fun workout alternative during National Nutrition Month in coordination with the Student Dietetic Association.

The set list of the dancers included Carly Ray Jepson’s “Call Me Maybe,” “Slight Work” by Wale and “Pound the Alarm” by Nicki Minaj. The songs blended together while dancers filtered in and out of the large crowd of spectators to prepare for the next song.

“Everyone loves a good flash mob,” said Kassandra Hishida, an environmental science major and member of the Midnight Dance Fusion class. “We put it on to promote health and happiness. Hopefully people enjoy all of our effort.”

The Midnight Dance Fusion class takes place at the Student Recreational Center Tuesday and Thursday nights at 7 p.m.

$100
$500

$100
$500

A.H. JamesOct 10, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Dancing on your way to a fit and healthy physique – kudos to the Midnight Dance Fusion class for combining health and dance classes in one!