With 14 digs, outside hitter Korrin Wild lead the Bulldogs for the first two sets as Fresno State defeated CSU Bakersfield 3-0 in Thursday night’s home game. Roe Borunda / The Collegian

’Dogs cruise to victory against Roadrunners

With 14 digs, outside hitter Korrin Wild lead the Bulldogs for the first two sets as Fresno State defeated CSU Bakersfield 3-0 in Thursday night’s home game.
Roe Borunda / The Collegian

The Bulldogs coasted to a quick win over CSU Bakersfield (10-11), by defeating the Roadrunners three sets to none in a non-conference matchup Thursday night.

Fresno State (13-7, 5-2 in the Mountain West) was firmly in control of the game from the first match to the third, winning 25-19, 25-22, 25-19. The Bulldogs controlled the pace and flow of the game as they dominated sets one and three, and pulled away midway through the second.

“I like tonight’s game. We kept our sense of urgency and we got the job done. I’m very happy about that,” head coach Lauren Netherby-Sewell said.

Outside hitter Korrin Wild lead all Fresno State players with 16 kills and 14 digs.

The Bulldogs kept the Roadrunners at bay so well that coach Netherby-Sewell was able to play reserves. Freshman Zana Bowens, sophomore Jaimee-Lee Morrow and redshirt freshman Molly Pearson were able to see time in a game that the ’Dogs easily had in hand.

“We need those players, I call them my ‘flank players.’ They come in from the sides and do their job,” Netherby-Sewell said.

The first and third sets were quickly won by Fresno State, as the Bulldogs had the most trouble with CSU Bakersfield during the second set.

Key players like setter Barbara Alcantara and right side blocker Megan Callahan, along with Wild, were able to rest midway through the second set. The Bulldogs continued to press CSU Bakersfield with strong play from their front court.

“We just came in and took care of business. And that means that we can do that on a daily basis. So that builds a lot of confidence,” Netherby-Sewell said.

During the beginning of the second set, the Roadrunners were able to build their largest lead at 3-1. But Fresno State was able to rally and keep pace with CSU Bakersfield until the score reached 7-7.

The ’Dogs were then able to assert themselves and pull ahead of the Roadrunners, extending their lead to four points midway through the second set.

With Fresno State getting reserves into the game against CSU Bakersfield, the Bulldogs were able to rest some of their starters for tomorrow’s matchup against University of Nevada Las Vegas.

“We need those people to get experience and tonight was a good time because this is a team effort,” Netherby-Sewell said. “And the reason why we’re having success is because from top to bottom, we’re getting the job done.”

“I was happy to give them a little bit of time and experience out there and you never know when you’re going to need them,” Netherby-Sewell added.

This game for Fresno State served as a tune-up to prepare for a tough matchup against UNLV. The Rebels are 3-1 on the road against conference opponents this season.

“UNLV and Fresno State are pretty well matched,” Netherby-Sewell said. “Statistically, you look around and position by position, I think we’re pretty strong. I think we have a little more offense than they do. If we can pass better than them, serve tough, I think our offense will beat theirs.”

“We’re hoping we have a little more offense. But it’s just a matter of who serves and passes better,” Netherby-Sewell added.

The Bulldogs will face UNLV tomorrow night for their second-straight home game. Fresno State’s chances to win a conference championship are still high as they sit tied for first in the Mountain West with UNLV.

“I think it gives us confidence in the consistency of our game at this point,” Netherby-Sewell said.