Bulldog Game Day Fresno State Bulldogs — vs Wyoming Cowboys

Bulldog Game Day Fresno State Bulldogs — vs Wyoming Cowboys.

Breakdown: Bulldogs

Returning home after a bitter loss to Boise State, the ’Dogs (4-3, 2-1 MWC) face Wyoming Saturday at Bulldog Stadium.

After an emotional defeat, head coach Tim DeRuyter and the team will have to refocus on a daunting task of trying to win the rest of their games this season to control their own destiny. They can do this by continuing to win at home with the crowd supporting the ’Dogs with emotional energy.

Fresno State brings the usual offensive studs in quarterback Derek Carr, who is the emotional leader of the team, and running back Robbie Rouse, who is the team spark plug. The wide receiver corps also plays a critical part to the success of the ’Dogs, especially the play of receivers Rashad Evans, Davante Adams, Josh Harper, Isaiah Burse and Rouse.

Fresno State, which leads the nation in takeaways, will continue to run its devastating defensive schemes. Standout safeties Phillip Thomas and Derron Smith should continue to lead the ’Dogs in winning the turnover battle.

However, the Bulldogs will need other players, such as inside linebacker Jeremiah Toma and defensive lineman Andy Jennings, to step up. Toma’s presence as a veteran should bring much-needed leadership to the ’Dogs defense. Jennings also brings physicality to Fresno State’s defensive unit as he leads the Mountain West with eight tackles for a loss and is fifth in the conference with 4.5 sacks.

The Bulldogs must to continue to get stellar play both from their strong defense and electric offense in order to prove victorious. Renewing its rivalry with the Cowboys, Fresno State will also look to draw its emotional energy from the mood of the home crowd.

Breakdown: Cowboys

Looking to rebound from another close loss to Air Force, the Cowboys (1-5, 0-2 MWC) go on the road to play their old rival, Fresno State.

Wyoming looks to avoid another heart-breaking loss this season against the Bulldogs. The Cowboys also hope to make headway in the Mountain West by picking up a conference win.

Fortune has not favored Wyoming this season. The Cowboys have lost to all of their opponents except 15th ranked Texas by a combined total margin of 11 points. Even in its lone win, Wyoming defeated Idaho by only three points in an overtime, 40-37 victory.

The Cowboys bring a modest offense ranking 48th in passing yards and 67th in points in the nation.

Wyoming boasts skilled players in quarterback Brett Smith and explosive running backs D.J. May and Shaun Wick. Smith has passed for 1,182 yards on 80 completions and 12 touchdowns. The Cowboys bring a one-two punch in May and Wick, who have rushed for a combined 426 yards and five touchdowns.

Wyoming’s defense, which at times has been susceptible to giving up big plays, ranks 97th in the nation in points against. The Cowboys bring dynamic players in linebackers Korey Jones and Ghaali Muhammad. Both linebackers are tackle machines with Jones accumulating 53 and Muhammad collecting 51. Muhammad also has one sack and two fumble recoveries.

If Wyoming hopes to win, it will need its power running game to manage the game clock. This ball possession should control the flow of the game and not let the ’Dogs get into their rhythmic attacking schemes. Also, a bit of luck swinging in favor of Wyoming will help them find victory on the road in a hostile environment.