In what has been a breakout season both offensively and defensively for the ’Dogs, Carr and company will travel to Boise State to face the Broncos Saturday. Fresno State will seek to break its losing streak against its long-time rivarly. Roe Borunda / The Collegian

Bulldog Game Day Fresno State Bulldogs — vs Boise State Broncos

In what has been a breakout season both offensively and defensively for the ’Dogs, Carr and company will travel to Boise State to face the Broncos Saturday. Fresno State will seek to break its losing streak against its long-time rivarly.
Roe Borunda / The Collegian

Breakdown: Bulldogs

In what could most likely be a season-defining matchup, the ’Dogs will face Boise State in the annual Milk Can trophy battle Saturday.

Although Boise State (4-1, 1-0) is 10-4 in the series, Fresno State (4-2, 2-0) could possibly turn the tables this year. With a defense that ranks first in the nation in takeaways and an offense that runs an up-tempo attacking scheme, the ’Dogs have their best chance to win in years.

Fresno State brings a dynamic secondary with defensive backs Phillip Thomas and Derron Smith. Thomas, who leads the nation in interceptions with six, should continue contributing to winning the takeaway battle. Redshirt sophomore Smith is also an elite defensive player. He has three interceptions on the season.

Offensively, Fresno State is enjoying a productive year from quarterback Derek Carr and the receiver corps. With 1,816 passing yards and 18 touchdowns thrown to five different targets, Carr is on pace to have his best season.

The running game is also explosive as running back Robbie Rouse has rushed for 711 yards and eight touchdowns. With the school rushing record already under his belt, Rouse still has time to set the single-season running record (held by pro running back Ryan Mathews).

If the Bulldogs can continue their recent success on the road by having both the offense and defense clicking on all cylinders, Fresno State’s chances for a win are high.

Breakdown: Broncos

After starting the season with a loss to Michigan State, the Broncos have gone on to win four games in a row.

Boise State (4-1, 1-0), sitting third in the Mountain West, again looks poised to make a run at the conference championship. The Broncos certainly have all the right tools to do so.

With an offense that features a power running game and a defense that is not only physical, but tenacious as well, Boise State is a difficult challenge for the ’Dogs. What stands out so strikingly for the Broncos is their dominant defense. Second in the nation to only Fresno State in creating turnovers, Boise State relies heavily on its defense.

The Broncos bring exceptional talent in their secondary. Defensive backs Jeremy Ioane and Jamar Taylor are elusive players who can terrorize an opponent’s wide receiver corps. Ioane and Taylor have excellent ball-hawking abilities as they each have four interceptions returned for touchdowns on the season.

Boise State’s offensive is also formidable as it brings a power running game that sets up a deadly play-action passing attack. Junior quarterback Joe Southwick has done a modest job replacing Kellen Moore, who now plays in the National Football League. With 1,124 total passing yards and eight total touchdowns, Southwick is a deceptively good quarterback.

The Broncos rushing game is headed by senior running back D.J. Harper. Although Harper is small in stature, his perseverance and leadership skills make him a dynamic offensive player.

If Boise State hopes to win, it will need its defense to equal or better that of Fresno State’s defense. In addition, if the Broncos can get their running game going, this should set up opportunities to run their explosive passing schemes.

$100
$500

$100
$500

JustinOct 12, 2012 at 11:41 am

I think the key to a Bulldogs victory is jumping out ahead if the broncos early. Alot like Fresno St did in its game against Tulsa. With alot more focus on finishing I feel if the Bulldogs can force the Broncos to have to score from behind.. It will only lead to Southwick pressing and eventually cause mistakes. Keys to the game defensively for tue Bulldogs.. Key in on the run..stop Harper and force Boise into predictable passing situations. Keys to the Broncos.. Control the front seven of the Dogs.. Pick up the extra man blitzing and give Southwich time to make decisions. All in all i feel boise time has run out (7-6 vs BYU..32-29 vs. NM) I feel like the dogs have the better team this year. Prediction FS 27 BSU 23