Alcohol poisoning ruled as Dhanens’ cause of death

Fresno County Coroner, Dr. David Hadden, explains the dangers students expose themselves to when they chose to binge drink. Hadden presided over Philip Dhanens’ autopsy and toxicology.
Yocelin Gallardo/ The Collegian

Fresno State student Philip Dhanens’ toxicology report showed that the young man died of acute alcohol poisoning, said Fresno County Coroner Dr. David Hadden.

Dhanens, 18, died on Sunday, Sept. 2, after drinking at a Theta Chi Fraternity party the Friday before. Dhanens was a first year freshman from Bakersfield.

Results from the toxicology showed that the 314-pound student’ blood alcohol level was .36, over four times the legal limit and enough to establish cause of death, said Hadden. Dhanens did not have any other substances in his system.

“It’s very, very painful for us,” Hadden said. “You look at that and say, ‘Why did they do that?’”

According to collegedrinkingprevention.gov, alcohol depresses the nerves that control involuntary actions like breathing and the gag reflex. An excess of alcohol can stop these functions and possibly lead to a coma.

A person’s blood alcohol concentration, which is the percentage of alcohol a person has in his or her system, can continue to rise even after the person has passed out or gone to sleep. It is because of this that sleeping off the effects of alcohol may not always be the safe bet.

The website lists the following as signs of alcohol poisoning: mental confusion; stupor; coma; or a person that cannot be roused; vomiting; seizures; slow breathing (fewer than eight breaths per second); irregular breathing (10 seconds or more between breaths); hypothermia; bluish skin color or paleness.

Having a sober person watch over someone who is intoxicated is not always a safe bet, said Hadden. Most people are not trained to help someone who has over indulged in alcohol and are not trained to see the signs, Hadden said.

“He should have immediately gone to the emergency room,” Hadden said.

Hadden encourages students to take people they see displaying signs of alcohol poisoning to the hospital despite the consequences that could arise from underage drinking.

Fresno State as well as Theta Chi International Headquarters suspended Theta Chi’s Fresno chapter. Police are still investigating the incident.

Dhanens’ death comes six years after Danny Daniels, 19, was found dead with alcohol in his system at the Phi Gamma Delta house. Phi Gamma Delta was suspended and has not been re-established.

Hadden fears that despite the recent circumstances of Dhanens’ death, people will not stop binge drinking.

“I don’t think any amount of preaching from a coroner is going to change their attitudes,” Hadden said.