Liana Whitehead
Liana Whitehead

7 Things To Never Say at a Job Interview

Liana Whitehead

1. My last boss was a !$#@%­

Plenty of us have worked under the evil reign of an overbearing, unappreciative boss. Refrain from mentioning how much you hated this. Interviewers see this as immature and childish, according to CBS’s Money Watch.­ Potential bosses want to hear that you are constantly improving — not clinging onto a negative past.

2. I’m sorry; can you repeat what you just said?

At least appear interested. There is nothing worse than spacing off while an interviewer is talking — especially if they expect an intelligent response. This is a sure way to instantly lose the interest of potential employers. Or friends, for that matter.

3. Weaknesses? Don’t make me laugh.

Unless your work attire is a pair of red tights and a cape, everybody has workplace weaknesses.­ At the same time, you never want to reveal too many weaknesses. Remain humble and admit a flaw that has nothing to do with the position in question. It is a good idea to mention how you have overcome the weakness, according to Woman’s Day magazine.

4. I’m surprised I got past­security.

Stray away from any sketchy information about yourself. Whether you have unpaid parking tickets or a body in your trunk, revealing too much personal information can get us into trouble. This also goes for social networking sites — watch what you post online because potential employers are now fact-checking on Facebook, according to U.S. News.

5. Is that your wife? Nice!

Avoid compliments. Although they seem like a friendly tool, it may come off as flattery for the sake of employment. Or worse, it could simply make you look foolish. If a man compliments a female interviewer, it may be taken as sexist or crossing the line, according to a Fox Business report. Male interviewers might see a woman’s compliments as brown nosing.

6. So, what does your company do?

Come informed. Not knowing the type of business or what it produces is a red flag for interviewers. Researching a company and its services and policies is one of the most important preparations for an interview. If you have no prior knowledge of the business, it will seem as if you are not really interested in the position, according to the National Contract Management Association.

7. That guy out there — you don’t want to hire him.

If you happen to run into someone you know at an interview — or someone you wish you didn’t know — avoid mentioning the person when the interviewer calls you in. Even if you have worked with him or her and have interesting stories to share, refrain. Chatting about the competition waiting in the next room is a turn-off for interviewers. Act tactfully and focus on the interview at hand.

$100
$500

$100
$500

William S.Oct 17, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Number eight: “I voted for ______________.”