Tuition increase a possibility for students

The California State University Board of Trustees voted Wednesday, 11 to three, in favor of a five percent tuition increase should Proposition 30 not pass.

The tuition increase, which would amount to about $150, would take place during the spring semester of 2013 to combat the $250 million budget cut to the CSU system should Proposition 30 fail.

Proposition 30 would raise the state’s sales tax by one fourth of a cent for four years as well as a 1percent tax increase on those who make more than $250,000 a year, a 2 percent tax increase on those who make more than $300,00 a year and a 3 percent tax increase on those who make more than $500,000 a year. The current marginal tax rate of those who make over $250,000 is 9.3 percent.

The board voted to prepare should the worst happen, said Fresno State President John Welty.

However, should the proposition pass, the board voted that the 9.1 percent tuition increase would be dropped. Students will also receive a reimbursement for the tuition increase applied this semester, amounting to approximately­ $249.

If the added 9.1 percent fee is canceled, the CSU system will receive $125 million as part of the budget for next year.

In the past 18 months, $750 million­ has been cut from the CSU system, Welty said.

“If Proposition 30 passes it will definitely benefit Fresno State and California State Universities,” Welty said. “The important thing to point out is it stabilizes the financial situation for the system.”