Student-athletes promote food drive

The Student Athlete Advisory Committee will put on a canned food drive this weekend, the proceeds of which will be donated to Poverello House of Fresno.

“I feel this is going to be very successful,” said SAAC President Andrew Shapiro. “We have a lot of student-athletes working on this.”

The SAAC is a committee within the athletics department comprised of at least two student-athletes from each team on campus. The group meets once a month to discuss legislation passed down from the National Collegiate Athletic Association as well issues within the athletic department.

The donation sites will be located at three of this weekend’s sporting events. The first event will be during Fresno State’s volleyball match against New Mexico this Thursday at 7 p.m. Student-athletes will be stationed near the Save Mart Center entrances, collecting non-perishable food items.

Donations will also be collected during the Fresno State Homecoming game against San Diego State this Saturday. Canned food can be dropped off upon entrance to Bulldog Stadium.

The last chance to make a food donation will be this Sunday at the Fresno State soccer game in Bulldog Stadium. The ‘Dogs will be playing against Air Force, beginning at 1 p.m.

The SAAC has been working with Athletics Marketing and Promotions as well as handing out flyers to clubs to get the word out about the food drive.

Those who make a donation will receive a Jack in the Box coupon for free tacos.

While in the Western Atlantic Conference, the SAAC’s community service theme was ‘youth at play,’ Shapiro said. Student-athletes would spend time with elementary school children playing games.

Since Fresno State moved into the Mountain West Conference, the SAAC has decided to focus their community service efforts towards collecting for those in need.

The SAAC wishes to enhance the student-athlete experience, Shapiro said. Shapiro is a student-athlete himself, being the punter for the football team.

“The SAAC is full of athletes just willing to help,” Shapiro said.