Rouse seeks record, win

Senior running back Robbie Rouse will be looking Saturday against the Colorado Buffaloes to help the Bulldog’s attain their second win of the season. However, his progress toward achieving the all-time rushing record still remains alive and elusive.

“He’s our leading rusher on the team and I think he’ll be able to break it. We all are pushing for him to break it,” senior back-up running back Milton Knox said. “He works hard, too.”

Although Fresno State lost 42-25 against Oregon last weekend in a tough match that featured a tale of two halves for the ’Dogs, Rouse was able to have another solid outing. Rushing for 115 yards on 27 carries, Rouse broke the school record for most career carries.

“He’s a real commanding leader and he’s a talented running back,” Milton said.

Colorado, gives up an average of 4.58 yards a carry and on the season a total of 298 yards. This presents Rouse with an excellent opportunity to break the all-time rushing record.

“Obviously, he’s done a great job in his career, but it’s not just him. He’s had great offensive lines blocking for him because we got threats outside at times,” Bulldogs head coach DeRuyter said. “People have to honor our receivers, but on his own, he’s done a lot of great things.”

In terms of strategy, the Bulldogs will try to run a hurry-up offense, which should benefit Rouse with more carries. This strategy should be particularly effective in disrupting the Buffaloes’ defense, keeping players on their heels.

“He’s our guy. So as Robbie goes, we go. Also, as he goes, and if we’re running the ball with him, than that opens up the pass for all the receivers and the quarterback,” offensive coordinator Dave Schramm said.

During the past two weeks, DeRuyter has preached an up-tempo offense and a physical defense. Fresno State should be able to do just that as the Buffaloes have given up an average of 26 points per game.

“Their backs are against the wall. We feel like they’re going to give us their best shot and we need to match that,” DeRuyter said.

Rouse, who is only 78 yards away from tying the all-time rushing record (4,031) held by Fresno State running back legend Ron Rivers, is excited to play the Buffaloes. The ’Dogs will attack early and often on offense as they run their up-tempo offense and will look to get the ball to Rouse frequently.

“It’s important that he gets off to a great start and has a great game. I know that’ll mean a lot to the offensive line and to Robbie. The great thing about Robbie Rouse is that he’s all about winning,” Schramm said.

With the game being home at Bulldog Stadium, Rouse and company will be ready to go.

“He’s going to be ready. He’s going to be juiced. Our fans are going to be juiced. We’re trying to get him going so it can open up our offense,” Knox said.

But Rouse will just be happy to get his team a win.

“If you ask him, he doesn’t care when he gets it but he’s all about whether we win,” DeRuyter said. “It’ll be nice for him and a nice accolade. But he’d rather beat a Pac-12 opponent in front of our home fans than get a record.”