Apple’s new iPhone 5, came into the market with high expectations. Despite many early glitches, the design and features of the phone look to help keep the top spot on the phone market. Dalton Runberg / The Collegian

New iPhone 5 lives up to the hype

Apple’s new iPhone 5, came into the market with high expectations. Despite many early glitches, the design and features of the phone look to help keep the top spot on the phone market.
Dalton Runberg / The Collegian

The iPhone 5 is one of the most highly anticipated phones released this year. Preorders were sold out in less than an hour.

There are a few major differences in comparison with previous models. Most noticeably is the larger screen. A four-inch screen was added to catch up with other phones on the market with big screens, such as the Samsung Galaxy S III.

Bigger screens usually mean more room for information and the iPhone is no different. A full row has been added to the home screen for faster access to more apps. The extra row may add functionality, but it makes the screen look cluttered and busy.

Aluminum casing replaces the full-glass body, making the phone both thinner and lighter. Glass can still be found on the back of the phone; however, it is just the top and bottom portions. Buyers beware: some have reported chipping on the phone’s aluminum band leaving flecks of silver sticking out like a sore thumb.

The headphone jack was moved to the bottom of the iPhone. It makes listening to music with your phone in your pocket a bit easier.

The camera has also received an update this year. An eight-megapixel camera on the back makes every picture clear and crisp and the new lens, supposedly, is more scratch resistant.

Panorama mode is a new feature built into the camera app, letting you take high quality panoramic shots very easily, even for inexperienced users.

Apple added a new dual core A6 CPU to the iPhone 5, giving it a large boost in speed in comparison with the iPhone 4S, which is noticeable. LTE speeds are screaming fast ”” and make 3G look ancient.

Every new iPhone 5 ships with the new iOS 6 operating system. This new operating system brings a few changes as well.

The Google maps app has been replaced by Apple’s own mapping app. Saying this maps program is merely functional is a compliment. Many of the buildings and addresses are outdated and the removal of the public transportation routes is also going to be sorely missed.

Google has been working on its maps much longer than Apple. It should be expected that it wouldn’t be quite as good.

The new Lightning port has replaced the charger that Apple has used for nearly a decade. Many see this as a bad move. However, the new cable is much smaller and can be inserted into the phone either way. Consumers who have a large number of Apple-friendly accessories, such as docks and alarm clocks, won’t be happy, as they simply won’t work with the new iPhone.

An adapter is available to turn the standard 30-pin dock connector into the new Lightning port at a $30 price tag.

The sound during phone calls is surprisingly good. Noise reduction really takes away any background sounds and the connections seem to be a solid improvement. Dropped calls seem to be much less frequent.

Battery life is an issue with many phones now because they are used for so much more than just phone calls. The iPhone 5 handles the battery charging well. It holds a charge longer than the iPhone 4S.

Is the iPhone the juggernaut it once was? No, the Samsung Galaxy S III and Nokia Lumia 920 are both powerhouse competitors that can hold their own in the market once dominated by Apple.

The iPhone 5 is a fantastic phone for anyone looking for a new smartphone and has everything one might need or want in a phone.