The Suicide Prevention Program informational booth uses a spin-the-wheel Suicide Mythbuster to engage students. Josephine Gildersleeve explains to Sunvir Johal, an enviromental occupational health student, about the two-year grant the program recieved this year. Roe Borunda / The Collegian

Health Center promotes suicide prevention week

The Suicide Prevention Program informational booth uses a spin-the-wheel Suicide Mythbuster to engage students. Josephine Gildersleeve explains to Sunvir Johal, an enviromental occupational health student, about the two-year grant the program recieved this year.
Roe Borunda / The Collegian

National Suicide Prevention Week is Sept. 9 – 15.­ In honor of this, Fresno State’s Suicide Prevention Program is sharing information with students and organizing a workshop.

The program is the product of a grant from the California Mental Health Services Act.­ This grant provides almost $300,000 for a two-year program focused on suicide prevention.

Melissa Watkins, the coordinator for the newly established Suicide Prevention Program, said that it has multiple events planned for the coming years.

“Over the next two years we have six programs that are all focused on building up that awareness, education, and making sure we are reducing the stigma that is associated with suicide,” Watkins said.

She continued by expressing the necessity of understanding factors like depression, which often precede suicide.

The Suicide Prevention Program set up a booth in the Free Speech Area on Monday.­ Volunteers offered yellow ribbons for suicide awareness as well as an information wheel which provided little-known facts about suicide.­ One states that suicides are more prevalent than homicides in the city of Fresno.

Thursday afternoon, the Suicide Prevention Program is holding a workshop which will focus on the story of Kari Jorgensen, a Fresno State student athlete who committed suicide in 1996.­ Her mother, Carolyn Brown, will be telling Kari’s story while reflecting on the warning signs of suicide and her daughter’s battle with depression.

The workshop will be held at 12:30 p.m. in the University Student Union, rooms 312-314.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• L

Lisa R.Sep 13, 2012 at 1:00 pm

That comment makes no sense whatsoever. It is a direct quote. The editors don’t have to agree with it.

• H

Harold A. MaioSep 12, 2012 at 1:42 pm

“Over the next two years we have six programs that are all focused on building up that awareness, education, and making sure we are reducing the stigma that is associated with suicide,” Watkins said.
    Editors:

Please read, for meaning, the words you selected for print. I do not believe it ethical for editors to promote to print a claim of “stigma,” not for anyone, nor against anyone. See rape/stigma, once promoted, for example.

I do not accept “reducing” a prejudice, nor did women, they said end it. “Reducing is a curious goal, it implies keeping some.

Please end it on your pages.

Harold A. Maio, retired mental health editor

Melissa WatkinsSep 12, 2012 at 10:39 am

The workshop will be held in the University Student Union Room 312-314 (not 212-214).