Fresno State alumna Katie Williamson is a part of Fresno State on the Move, a program that promotes faculty and staff to take part in healthy activities during the semester. She hands out information at the Benefits Fair. Roe Borunda / The Collegian

Fresno State promotes healthy faculty with wellness fair

Fresno State alumna Katie Williamson is a part of Fresno State on the Move, a program that promotes faculty and staff to take part in healthy activities during the semester. She hands out information at the Benefits Fair.
Roe Borunda / The Collegian

The Department of Human Resources hosted the Benefits Fair and Wellness Expo, a joint annual event planed in conjunction with the Office of Employee Assistance and Wellness. The event was held Wednesday in the Satellite Student Union.

Juanita Aguilar, a human resources administrator, said that the Benefits Fair was intended to inform faculty of the services of vendors contracted by the university””such as Blue Shield, Kaiser Permanente and Vision Service Plan. The event gave the chance for faculty and staff to talk to representatives about chances to enroll or make changes to current plans.

The event featured more than 50 booths and vendors that promoted voluntary life, health, dental, visual and wellness opportunities.

Among one of the volunteer opportunities present at the event was the California State Employees Charitable Campaign. The campaign gives staff and faculty the opportunity to make charitable donations to various local community organizations and campus programs.

Fresno State’s American Humanics Program, a nonprofit organization focused on leading community benefit organizations, has participated in the charity campaign for the past six years, Humanics director Mathew Jendian said.

“Fresno State employees have an opportunity to give as little as $5 dollars per month to their favorite charity,” Jendian said.

“We’re hoping to get 50 percent of faculty and staff to participate at the minimum level so we can demonstrate we’re an engaged community.

The event also featured free services for faculty and staff such as chair massages.

“Wellness is a really important part at Fresno State’s program for employees because we know that healthier employees stay happier and perform better,” said Nancy Petenbrink, director of employee assistance and wellness.

Fresno State on the Move, a program established by the Office of Employee Assistance and Wellness, promoted opportunities for faculty and staff to engage in healthy, fit activity during this semester.

“Fresno State on the Move is a way to encourage faculty and staff to participate in physical activity throughout the week,” said program coordinator Katie Williamson.

“The main goal of the wellness at work program is to encourage faculty and staff to get fit. The programs that we provide offer a way for them do that while they’re working,” Williamson said.

The 12-week program begins on Tuesday, Sept. 25 with a kickoff walk with President John Welty. Events will feature various walks and biweekly tai chi sessions. Fresno State faculty and staff can register for the program up until Sept. 28. Faculty and staff interested in signing up can call Petenbrink at 559-278-4357 or visit the program’s website at fresnostate.edu/eaw/walk.

Besides from vendors provided by the university, other businesses such as Costco and Office Depot were present at the event.

“To pay for the tables and room we invite these other people to help offset the cost,” Aguilar said

“This year we’ve had more vendors than we have before. We always hope to add more.”