Thirty-four members of the Fresno State College Republicans attended Paul Ryan’s Fresno fundrasiser, which brought in about $1 million for the Romney-Ryan campaign. Photo courtesy of Fresno State College Republicans

Fresno State College Republicans attend Paul Ryan fundraiser

Thirty-four members of the Fresno State College Republicans attended Paul Ryan’s Fresno fundrasiser, which brought in about $1 million for the Romney-Ryan campaign.
Photo courtesy of Fresno State College Republicans

The Fresno State College Republicans (FSCR) made local and national headlines this weekend by attending the Paul Ryan fundraiser at the Fresno Convention Center’s Valdez Hall and vocally defending the campaign against protestors on Saturday.

“It was truly remarkable to see so many college students stand up for their futures,” said FSCR chairman Daniel Harrison. “College students everywhere are waking up and realizing that president Obama’s policies have and will continue to devastate them financially.”

Thirty-four of the club’s members attended the fundraiser.

Seats ranged from $1,000 per person to $25,000 per couple. Nearly 500 attended the fundraiser, netting the Romney-Ryan campaign $1 million.

Since the chartering of the FSCR a year ago, they have been fostering relationships with those in the political community locally, state and nation-wide. Through those contacts, they were able to attend at no cost.

“We’ve been building this club up since last July,” California College Republicans chief of staff, Matt Shupe said. “Its size, influence and recognition has grown significantly, both in our community, by the media and within the party.”

Several hundred feet away from the event, a group of protestors formed. The FSCRs, who had brought signs, formed a counter-protest and confronted the protestors. Images of the counter-protest were used as the lead picture nationwide by the AP story that covered the event.

Ryan was introduced by Tulare congressman Devin Nunes, who works on the House Ways and Means committee with Ryan.

Nunes said he used to tell people that Ryan should be president.

In Ryan’s 18-minute-long speech, he made numerous references to local issues such as California’s over-regulations on businesses and water. He spoke mostly of the successes of his running mate Mitt Romney and the shortcomings of President Obama.

“Hope and change has been replaced with attack and blame,” Ryan said.

Ryan also recognized and spoke highly of Hanford assemblyman and congressional candidate David Valadao.

“It was really exciting to see that the Valley’s concerns are being recognized at the federal level,” said Moses Menchaca, vice-chairman of the FSCR. “After hearing Ryan speak, I feel like he can help us with our issues.”

$100
$500

$100
$500

MichaelSep 10, 2012 at 7:00 pm

I never understood why people give money to a politician’s campaign when the politician is worth a quarter of a billion dollars.