Faculty changes at Fresno State offers staff new opportunities

Along with John President Welty’s retirement, Fresno State is dealing with other changes in administration as well.

Two of the most noticeable changes were in the music department and the mass communication and journalism department.

Former chair of the music department, Michael Caldwell, moved on to take the position as associate vice president for faculty affairs. Tony Mowrer took his place as chair of the music department.

The mass communications and journalism department saw similar changes. Tamyra Pierce, former chair of the department, now serves as the director of social media and integrated marketing for university communications. Kathy Adams took her place as the new chair.

Cynthia Matson, vice president of administration, said the shifts were economically efficient.

“We haven’t had a lot of openings at Fresno State in the past few years because of budget cuts, so there has been some shifting in personnel when it’s practical to help others develop professionally and personally,” Matson said.

Associated Students, Inc. President Arthur Montejano said that these shifts are part of any professional career.

“It’s something we can all expect to do in our professional lives. Careers naturally progress,” Montejano said.

Montejano believes that it’s good for individuals to explore opportunities and careers in order to achieve their full potential.

Montejano thought the shifts in administration brought new opportunity.

“The key is always coming in with the mindset that something great is about to happen,” Montejano said.

Pierce and Caldwell were unique administrative changes because of the shifts in their roles.

“I think when a university can hold on to existing expertise within its faculty or staff or other managers, it’s a tremendous opportunity to offer growth and professional performance opportunities for other individuals at Fresno State,” Matson said.

New chair of the music department Tony Mowrer pointed out that President John Welty served Fresno State for more than 20 years, and that this wasn’t his first college either.

“When a person gets to those points, it’s time to begin to relax a little bit and enjoy what you’ve worked so hard to enjoy,” Mowrer said.

The music department already seems to have handled the changes well. Mowrer said his staff helped make the transition easy.

“One thing to know about the music department is that we have an incredibly gifted faculty and staff,” Mowrer said. “In my experience, when you’re working with people who are that gifted, the best thing to do is to let them do what they do best.”

Montejano foresees a few more changes in administration when the new president is hired.

“It’s not uncommon for there to be significant changes in administration when a president leaves. I anticipate there will be more changes as time goes on,” Montejano said.

Matson says the university will handle the upcoming changes well.

“I don’t think it will be difficult, but I think the university will go through a period of acclimating and working with a new president and adapting to that president’s vision and inspiration for the future,” Matson said.

Although she believes the university will adjust well, Matson did acknowledge that change does bring some apprehension.

“I think there is some anxiousness about what the new president will bring and what kind of changes that will provide to the institution. I think that’s a normal part of organizational growth and change involved with a new senior leader,” Matson said.

No matter what changes are made in the future, Mowrer hopes the university will continue to do its job.

“Education is important because of what we learn as humans and the way we become human from what we learn,” Mowrer said. “The job of an institution like this is to help us learn how to learn and to help us to be whole and contribute to society.”