Student Justin Kim observes and explains to his classmates in the professional practices course, what Stephanie Ryan’s, “A Night Out,” painting means to him. This annual faculty show is on display until Sept. 21 and has brought in many art classes to see what their instructors have been working on. Photos by Roe Borunda / The Collegian

Faculty art show draws in students

Student Justin Kim observes and explains to his classmates in the professional practices course, what Stephanie Ryan’s, “A Night Out,” painting means to him. This annual faculty show is on display until Sept. 21 and has brought in many art classes to see what their instructors have been working on.
Photos by Roe Borunda / The Collegian

The Conley Art Gallery at Fresno State is the current home to artwork that was painted, sculpted and shaped by Fresno State faculty members.

The exhibit, which began Aug. 30 and will run until Sept. 21, fills the gallery with a variety of styles of art. The creators are not just art instructors; they are faculty from throughout the campus as well.

“It showcases what each professor is doing in their own studios and on their own time,” said Adam Longatti, adjunct painting instructor at Fresno State, who has a painting in the gallery.

“The Fresno Poets” is the work of art painted by Longatti, depicting an empty valley landscape.

“Poets from the ’60s and ’70s were very influential to this piece,” Longatti said. “It’s not a real landscape. I have done so many like this that I was able to create this from previous experiences.”

The gallery is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. There is no admission charge.

Associate professor Stephanie Ryan also has a piece of art on display. Ryan is also on the gallery committee.

“As faculty, we wanted to show the community and students what we are doing,” Ryan said. “We all try to bring in new art.”

Ryan’s painting is of a family sitting down to eat in a restaurant. The painting looks like an old Polaroid photo from the ’80s was used as a reference.

Nick Potter, an associate professor of studio art and the chair of the gallery committee, organized the Department of Art and Design 2012 Faculty Show.

Oni Aboyte, who is majoring in photography, helps students in the gallery with general information so students and others can better understand the exhibit.

“Each piece is equally important,” Aboyte said. “We tried not to put too much focus on any particular artist.”

The gallery is filled with more than 20 pieces of artwork of all styles ”” screen prints to metal work.

“We wanted people to see everything and enjoy whichever they preferred,” Aboyte said.

There is no specific theme for the show other than faculty artwork. The “Paper Flower,” by Lynne Anderson, was created with ink, graphite, acrylic and paper.

“Delicate Matters,” by Una Mjurka resembles brown lunch bags, but is made with ceramic and prefabricated wood.

“Orbit,” by Joseph Morel, is made with blown glass and forged steel.

No two works are the same.

Art instructors have been bringing their students into the Conley Art Gallery to see the pieces to promote critical thinking and to get an in-depth look at the faculty’s art and learn the artist’s meaning of the piece.

“It’s a huge variety of different art,” Ryan said. “It’s a tremendous learning experience for students and the community.”