Extensive process delays autopsy report

It is difficult to say for sure when Philip Dhanens’ toxicology and autopsy report will be ready, said Dr. David Hadden, the Fresno County Coroner and public administer; however he hopes that it will be ready for the public soon.

Dhanens suffered an alcohol related death at a Theta Chi fraternity party during the second week of the fall semester.

“When you want to test for everything, you go to a specialized laboratory,” Hadden said. “So, there will be one or two that will test for quote ‘everything,’ which we call an all-scan.”

Hadden said there are very few of these laboratories in the country. Due to the extensive process, the tests can become very expensive.

A control is needed to check machines for the tests. To cut on costs, one control is used to set the machines for a specific type of test. Once the machine is prepped, many of the same types of tests can be run. This process is called batching.

“They generally wait until they get a certain number to batch them because it’s less expensive to run it that way,” Hadden said.