’Dogs route Lobos, improve to 2-1 in MWC

On Tuesday night, the Bulldogs took New Mexico by surprise in an upset victory winning three sets to one.

In a game that featured rallies in three different sets by the ’Dogs, Fresno State (9-7, 2-1 MWC) played like a team riding a hot streak. After defeating Fresno Pacific on Tuesday night in five sets, the ’Dogs continued their momentum against a high-powered offense in New Mexico (14-2, MWC 2-1).

“New Mexico is a good team. And we beat Wyoming as well. So we can beat anybody in the conference,” head coach Lauren Netherby-Sewell said. “It took a while to get going, but when we did we handle it pretty well.”

In the first set, the Bulldogs were outpaced by New Mexico until right side hitter Megan Callahan spiked a ball to start a Fresno State rally. With the score 15-10, the Bulldogs rallied to take the lead and win the first match 25-21. Callahan, who lead the Bulldogs with 17 kills, played very aggressive throughout the night as she dominated in all aspects of the match.

“She did a great job for us offensively. So we had a lot of production on offensive,” Netherby-Sewell said.

In the second set, New Mexico came out with ferocity topping the ’Dogs 25-22. Although, the score was close at the end, at one point the Lobos were up by 10 points. Fresno State then went on a rally to close the score to 15-15. However, New Mexico was able to hold off the Bulldogs to even the set score at one a piece.

“We went into cruise control in set two. And you’re going to get beat if you do that,” Netherby-Sewell said.

The third set featured another close contest as the teams were even until the seventh point of the match. New Mexico then took control by lengthening their lead to 10-7. After calling a time out, the Bulldogs were able to rally again and win the set 25-23.

As the match reached its fourth set, the ’Dogs were able to dominate quickly and win 25-15. This marked the first time that Fresno State was able to put together two straight winning sets.

“I was really happy that we were able to put together two back-to-back sets,” Netherby-Sewell said.

The Bulldogs only committed 22 errors in the match. Overall, Fresno State had a total of seven blocks with middle blocker Maci Murdock collecting a total of four block assists.

“Maci Murdock came through for us once she got her rhythm going,” Netherby-Sewell said.

Outside hitter Korrin Wild was also solid as she led the Bulldogs in digs with 19.

“She’s awesome back there. We trust her completely. She picked up almost every ball and we couldn’t ask for a better hitter,” teammate Megan Callahan said.

“Korrin did dig a lot of balls for us and that’s great,” Netherby-Sewell added.

Fresno State returns to action next Thursday and will look to improve their conference record as they face San Diego State on the road.